Rand Paul on racism in business...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, May 20, 2010.

1. He refused to answer a blatant trolling propaganda tactic. And??

#11     May 20, 2010
  2. He's the only one in politics who can't answer the exact same question. It is an honest question that many voters including republicans will have to have an answer too.

#12     May 20, 2010
  3. Hello

Hello

Do you have another link to the video? I cant watch the one ZZzZZ provided.... Or else do you know what a good search would be?

#13     May 20, 2010
  4. Rand was trying to avoid being put in a box, but his non answer will end up putting him in the same box.

I understand his position, "I am opposed to racism...yada, yada, yada...but it is a God given/Constitutional right to privately be a racist and/or own a business that is racist in whom they want to do business with, whom they want to serve, whom they want to hire."

The key was his continued pushing of "institutional racism" as something different than private racism.

Rand's position is clear:

Institutional racism bad...we should not allow institutional racism.

Private racism bad...but we should allow it because it is not institutional racism.

The apple doesn't fall very far from the tree with Rand...his father never did anything to stop or censure the racists comments in his newsletter...

I know, I know, Libertarianism will take care of everything, Jesus will handle it, an open free market solves all problems, yada, yada, yada...

Shame really, because Rand had to take a position by his non position because he doesn't want to alienate his base, the baggers and "private" racists...

#14     May 20, 2010
  5. No the one on this thread is all I've seen.

#15     May 20, 2010
  6. Hello

Hello

I found the video, actually it is the total opposite, he wont lose votes among conservatives by saying he doesnt believe in anti segregation laws as they pertain to business. 99% of people would have taken the stance that they were all for the "anti segregation laws." He definately took the hard way out, I actually wish he took the opposite position and said, 100% he does not believe in businesses ability to restrict customers based on ethnicity, but he took the hard way out. If Ron and Rand were not the only 2 honest politicians in washington they would take the easy and more popular route on all of these issues. Neither of them is a racist.

He will, however, lose many votes now by not saying he stands by the laws 100%, although i agree that i cant stand the political posturing, Rand Paul, and Ron paul are the only hope this country has, and they stand by their view point no matter how unpopular.

Do you really think if he was trying to appease the tea partiers he wouldnt have just taken a stance and say "I hate the anti segregation laws."

#16     May 20, 2010
  7. Paul is a politician, like pappy, and you like their politics...

Whoopie dang doo doo...

#17     May 20, 2010
  8. Hello

Hello

Yeah the only 2 politicians in washington who dont adhere to party politics and probably will never be elected president because they dont go with their side on 95% of issues.

What a poor person to root for...... sarcasm....

#18     May 20, 2010
  9. Hmm...lets reverse it for a second to see if it works.

I'm white and I see a restaurant owned by black people. I know the black people are racist. Do I really want to eat in their restaurant? No.

I will definately not fight so that the government can force them to let me eat there. Why the hell would I want to eat somewhere where i know for a fact that I am not wanted? I dont want to eat someones spit because they dont like me in their restaurant. I'm not going to force them to serve me. There are plenty of restaurants in town.

What would make me want to fight them? Maybe if I'm poor and hoping to get a big cash settlement for fighting them. Thats basically the only reason I can see that a normal man would fight to eat at a specific restaurant.

I actually like the idea that someone puts up a sign and says "no blacks" or "no whites" Then I know either way that the owners are racist jerks and I dont end up patronizing these establishments accidently.

#19     May 20, 2010
  10. PatternRec

PatternRec Guest

Well to be fair to this guy, you have to think about the implications.

So consider this;

Let's say you own a restaurant and you want to make it clear that you don't want families with children seeing as most people have no sense of proper discipline nor do they exercise it with their children. As a private entity, do you not have the right to prefer patrons sans kids?

Or you own a modeling agency that only caters to and represents Asian women between the ages of 18 to 34. Should you not be allowed to do this? Must you also be forced to represent blond, blue-eyed, Heidi Montag look-a-likes?

I'm sure anyone can come up with a slew of hypothetical situations.

Sure, no one likes to be discriminated against. But sometimes, the discrimination is a practical matter. Sometimes it addresses a need that without a certain kind of discrimination could not be properly addressed.

#20     May 20, 2010