Rand Paul: I'm For Pro-Choice For Light Bulbs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Mar 10, 2011.

1. pspr

pspr

The 2007 Energy Act is going to soon force all of us to switch from incandescent bulbs to LED or compact fluorescent bulbs. Neither of which are presently adequate to replace incandescent bulbs in many applications.

Furthermore, compact florescent bulbs are not manufactured in the U.S. as incandescent bulbs are and contain the dangerous element Mercury.

Senator Mike Enzi has introduced legislation to take government out of our light bulb right to choose but the bill has not made it out of the Senate.

Senator Rand Paul believes if we can take government out of our abortion decisions we should be able to take government out of our kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms and return to us the right to make our own choices for light bulbs, toilets and appliances.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51053.html

2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

lol.

I have this large crate....full of incandescent bulbs. Hundreds.

But truthfully I have a largish place and all the outside lighting is CFL. I can light the whole mountain for about 300 watts that way.

I use a few Reveal CFLs in the house. I guess there is an incandescent here and there in closets etc. I don't see CFL versus Incandescent as the liberal/conservative issue that it is made out to be.

Making incandescents basically illegal seems way out of whack with reality.

So I suppose I think Rand Paul is right. :)

3. pspr

pspr

I use a few CFL's too but I have quite a few fixtures that won't look right if I have to use something other than incandescent. Plus, there is no solution for bright flood lights. I'd use low energy bulbs for everything if they worked right and looked right but I don't think it is the government's place to tell me when and how I do that. Rand Paul is right.