Rand Paul Filibusters Brennan Nomination

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Mar 6, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

Sen. Rand Paul has taken to the floor of the U.S. Senate and is vowing to stay there “at length” in order to filibuster John O. Brennan, President Obama’s nominee to be the next CIA director.

The freshman Kentucky Republican has said he will hold up the nomination until he gets more information about the U.S. drone execution program, which has become a major sore point for many lawmakers on Capitol Hill.

“I will speak today until the president responds and says, ‘No, we won’t kill Americans in cafes. No, we won’t kill you at home at night,’” Mr. Paul said.

Just hours earlier, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. testified to a Senate committee that he believed it would be illegal for the government to kill an American who did not pose an imminent threat to security.

But he could not rule out the use of drones on American soil altogether, saying only that he doubted it would happen because it’s easier to capture people here.

The U.S. extrajudicial execution program has come under increasing scrutiny this year after some of the administration’s legal justification for the executions — most often carried out by drone strikes on targets overseas — leaked to the press.

Members of both parties on Capitol Hill have raised concerns about the program, which started under President George W. Bush and which Mr. Obama has greatly expanded.

Mr. Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee that Mr. Obama will deliver a speech in the near future laying out the issues at stake and asking for a public debate on the underlying principles.

Mr. Holder also said, though, that he is not sure Congress could ban the president from using drones to kill Americans on U.S. soil, saying that would likely run afoul of the Constitution’s grant of powers to the president in Article II.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/6/rand-paul-filibusters-brennan-nomination-cia-direc/

2. JamesL

JamesL

About time that someone who yells "filibuster" in a crowded senate chamber actually does what it supposed to mean.

3. now all he needs is a lance and a windmill.

4. jem

jem

I do not agree with paul on everything... but he is looking like he is a damn good supporter of our Constitutional rights.

I now take him far more seriously.

5. pspr

pspr

He's much more credible than his dad. So far. :)

6. Rand is a grandstanding tool. We'll be listening to Rand ranting for the next 25 years on whatever issue that will keep him in the news.
    One would think a congressman would legislate to solve problems, not filibuster.

7. pspr

pspr

LOL. Have you read your post but substitue the name Obama for Rand and president for congressman? It works better. :D

Obama is a grandstanding tool. We'll be listening to Obama ranting for the next 25 years on whatever issue that will keep him in the news.
    One would think a president would legislate to solve problems, not filibuster.

8. I stopped listening to Obama a long time ago, too much talk, too many speeches. If talk, threats and BS and blaming and fear mongering in Washington fixed problems... we wouldn't have any problems.
    I disagree about having to listen to Obama, he'll be gone soon enough. Rand is an incumbent in congress and will be around forever.

9. Which is EXACTLY why the republican powers that be HATE him.

10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Now Rand Paul IMO would be a GREAT Presidential candidate in 2016 vs the other dumbasses the repubs come up with. And as stated above, I also like him better than his Dad.

What a breath of fresh air it would be to have a President who leaves the people the hell alone, while he actually works in the interest of the American people.

#10     Mar 6, 2013