Ran Poor Service

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by TsunTzu, Feb 8, 2008.

1. StreamlineTrade

StreamlineTrade Guest

LOL!

You mean:

"Heads up, heads up!"

[Attention/caution for coming important anouncement - everyone pulls their orders]

"Can we have 2 minutes silence for Anna Nicole Smith please"

[Stupid attempt at a joke that cost the bund traders an opportunity, probably while all the bund traders at Sigma took the other side.]

Or,

"Heads up, Heads up!..."

"Aresnal won, West Ham are crap...."

[i.e. Jonno has nothing better to do today]

Jonno's a nice bloke, but I wouldn't use the service.

#11     Feb 9, 2008
  2. jsmooth

jsmooth

#12     Feb 9, 2008
  3. I've had a squawk service for 5 years and I've been trading since the early 90s,I don't think there are a lot of random moves in the markets.

Would be interested to know which squawk service you endorse,the one our clearer provides is a total bullshitter,someone is so unhappy with RAN they've bothered to start a thread and apparently THEY decide what is important enough for you to know and this 'Batesy' seems popular but for the wrong reasons.

I don't need a squawk guy to tell me if the 10 yr is on the highs or if the DAX is tanking or just state the obvious.Granted the comment about CNBC is a bit far-fetched as there are delays(I've never seen a 30 second delay though,maybe a few seconds) but like you say the real action over figures is also delayed so how vital is it to have someone instantly reading it off a Bloomberg?If that's your trading style and it works then great.

How can you expect a squawker with no qualifications,who was a bad trader/analyst to have an idea of what is happening?Surely if they were all these things they're in the wrong job?Would you honestly trust their judgement as to what they think is important?

#13     Feb 9, 2008
  4. There is only ONE point to a squawk service: To have someone human reading one gazillion different news services and watching a wide variety of tv channels and the instant "something important" shows up squawk it out clear and concise.

No analysis. No sports results. No commentary. Just news, filtered.

Yes, you can do it yourself - but then you won't have time to watch the markets, it costs a hell of a lot more and your eyes will bleed to death.

#14     Feb 9, 2008
  5. A good squawk can make you a fortune especially when bloomberg and reuters come out with different figures for the same release, you just don't have time to look into which one is right yourself. Tommi found the leaked Bernanke dovish speech buried in a Market News story a good two minutes before reuters or bloomberg picked up on it and started putting out their red highlights (only then followed by ranvir i was told). How many S&Ps do you want at best price? Don't tell me squawks are worthless.

I lost patience with ranvir over the Atocha bombings which despite telling him there was no similarity to any previous ETA attack he shouted "who's the analyst here?" and hung up on me. He also missed the weber "price risks have increased markedly" comment which signalled the turn of the ecb cutting a few years back which traders yelled across the floor themselves. Ahh when the bunds were in the 20s handles :p

No to mention the cut 50 cut 25 opposing headlines few years back when the quick acting squawker saved a lot of skins! Invaluable.

#15     Feb 10, 2008
  6. So the moral of the thread is that there are 2 types of squawk service:

1.Well-informed and competent,will aid your trading and probably save you money

2.Ill-informed,incompetent,misses headlines and is wrongly selective on what to read out and will probably cost you money

If you subscribe to squawk 1 then you've had a result.

However,it seems to me like a lot of people aren't aware that they spend all day listening to squawk 2,and what use is that?

#16     Feb 10, 2008
  7. TsunTzu

TsunTzu

Thats why I started the thread. To spread the word.

#17     Feb 11, 2008
  8. Batesy is the pits,we had him for a little while and became increasingly pissed off with his irrelevant commentary and bullshit levels,these levels btw were flagged when they held but ignored when the market sailed straight through.

Nothing personal here but we all thought it was a pretty unprofessional service,especially when the understudy takes the mic.

Interested to hear that about RAN,we were considering taking them out privately,will now reconsider especially if they hung up,that's a joke

Thanks for the heads-up

#18     Feb 11, 2008
  9. match

match

hello all - I was sent this thread by a friend of mine.

initially i thought about not replying but i felt some of what was being written was a little unfair.

so i borrowed a login from my partner, matthew cheung, and decided to put my thoughts, biased as they may be, into writing:

1. Ransquawk (all 5 analysts) provides a service for traders. if this service is not acceptable or is of poor quality you have every right as a customer to complain or cancel the service.

2. If you do complain we will always listen. We have no god-given right to know what the market is thinking. However, we do have to make decisions about what to squawk and what not to. This is our job and it is what we are paid to do.

3. If we are wrong, we will apologise and we always have. We owe this to our customers. Mistakes rarely happen but you cannot stop them from ever happening. We feel a mistake only becomes an error when it is repeated.

4. We will always talk to our customers and explain our course of action, even a mistake. However, if customers are abusive, either by email or telephone it will NOT be tolerated. We are professional and we expect our customers to be professional.

5. We do not trade. We are regulated by the FSA and face prison/fines if we try and manipulate the market. Any suggestion that we trade is libelous and we will take any and all action against someone who puts it into writing.

6. The information on our website (www.ransquawk.com) is available free of charge. We are currently having the website overhauled and deciding whether to continue with any free of charge services. Sorry this has taken so long but this is why calendars/news have not been updated.

7. For all those who want to see for themselves whether we are any good, please take a free trial for the professional service(info@ransquawk.com) on the bonds/equities/fx or energy channels. If you think that we are worthless then that is your right. If you make money then that is your gain.

Thank you EliteTrader for allowing this posting.

Ranvir (MD Ransquawk)

#19     Feb 11, 2008
  10. Thanks for your responses

1,If the service is not of the top quality,for GBP 250 a month it damn well should be, you should be ashamed and expect traders to cancel.

2,No-one would expect you to know what the market is thinking however as a professional you should know what is relevant at that moment and squawk it accordingly.

3,Mistakes should NEVER happen,you are charging the public in a business that can change from minute to minute,you should always be on your game.

4,If you've screwed up you should expect an abusive conversation,this is not a joke,there is a lot of money at stake here,perhaps if it was yours you'd feel differently,remember professionals don't make mistakes,should they,they pay the consequences and take it like a man NOT hang up the phone,that is disgraceful.

5,You can stick your libel threats up your arse,who do you think you are?

6,If you are behaving professionally you would have had the website updated from day one,more excuses.

After seeing the manner in which you conduct your business I wouldn't touch you at all.

#20     Feb 11, 2008