Ramblings on emotions and trading ...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by djxput, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Thanks everyone for your help. In surfing the net I found a self assessment for panic disorder. At the end it summarizes your responses and asks if this is an accurate picture. It was me exactly! Situationally Bound Acute Panic Disorder. I've already put in a call to the psychologist I was seeing and made a appointment with the psychiatrist that's prescribed my antidepressant medication. The medicine I'm on could be making things worse. I guess trading through my anxiety problem is a waste of time. I'll have to do whatever to treat it before I can get in the saddle and get going again. If not, I'll have to give up on trading as a possible career. I must have really done a number on my brain to be this screwed up. Before I could put on 10 lots and not blink an eye. Now, a one lot that's one tick in the black doubles my heart rate. Go figure.

#42     Oct 10, 2006
  2. <b>gutsy</b>, you are not immune to a heart attack, stroke or other debilitating illness with the degree of stress & turmoil endured in your recent past.

I have no doubt you could be a very successful trader... once your life is on track physically and mentally. Until then, it is impossible to think = feel efficiently enough to accomplish your goals.

Please take some time to heal... it will be the biggest investment in your financial future of all.

Best Wishes Always,
    Austin

#43     Oct 10, 2006
  3. Gutsy,

Sounds like you may have the "issue" nailed.

There are a couple of things you might do in the mean time other than trading thru it that could make it much easier to start trading again when you've improved the symptoms.

1) Work on the trading plan ... doing all the stuff Maverick suggested to really internalize it, finish it and make it yours. Also advice on this is at http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76477

2) Paper trade using your entry/exit tools in real time. And remove as much pressure as you can. This will help to convince your subconscious mind that it really works. Then when you step up the monetary pressure again you know that it can work.

#44     Oct 10, 2006
  4. ok remember how u began to ride a bicycle? at first ur emotions were in the way, u were scared to pedal, to go forward. THen you let your logic take hold and you commanded every muscle to move as it should, but doing that u where wobbly and fell over alot. Finally it became subconscious, u jsut got on a bike and began riding.

There are 3 levels to psychology when trading:

-emotional
    -logical
    -subconscious

All the great traders i know end up trading subciousciously, when the trade says buy they buy, they dont think about it, it just happens, its like an reflex. Just like when tiger makes teh drive or federer hits a forehand, they dont consciously think about it, they just let it happen.

#45     Oct 11, 2006
  5. try this. get yourself software that will automatically enter a stop loss whenever you take a position and then force yourself to stick to it. if you quantify your maximum loss your emotions will be easier to control.

#46     Oct 11, 2006
  6. bluedemon77

bluedemon77 Guest

When playing poker, your hands don't shake as you put chips into the pot when you're bluffing. They shake when you're holding "the nuts." It's a common tell. Why, I don't know, but similar?

Chuck

#47     Oct 12, 2006