ram cache

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zdreg, May 2, 2008.

1. zdreg

zdreg

I am using mozilla. there is a number of 18mb for ram cache and 48.8 mb for disk cache. as i open new web pages the ram cache exceeds the 18mb figure rather quickly. what does this mean? do i have to constantly clear the ram cache?

thanks

2. Do you mean firefox? If so what version?

3. zdreg

zdreg

yes. version2.0.0.14

4. kinar

kinar

basicly it is giving the option to store the frequently used data in memory (RAM cache) or on the hard drive (Disk Cache).

You probably won't notice the difference as to browsing speed/functionality based upon RAM cache vs Disk cache.

RAM cache will tend to be quicker but uses the available memory in your computer. If you have a large amount of system memory (RAM) and the fastest possible web page browsing is a high priority for you (moreso than other applications running fast), go ahead and up it to a larger number (I wouldn't go beyond about 1/10th of your total system memory though).

Either way, I would recommend upping your disk cache to around 256MB. Your's seems rediculously low unless you don't spend much time in your web browser.

5. zdreg

zdreg

"Either way, I would recommend upping your disk cache to around 256MB. Your's seems rediculously low unless you don't spend much time in your web browser."

how do u do this?

currently i have eight internet sites which i can open .

the ram cache reads 13.4mb/ 18mb
    the disk cache reads 3.4 mb/48.8b

what is the significance?

6. kinar

kinar

hrm...where are you seeing this status?

I just installed the same version of FF and don't see anything that says ram cache...