Rallies

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Buy1Sell2, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I see a lot of folks talk about rallies when we are in an uptrend. It is my contention that they are using the wrong terminology. Rallies occur in downtrends.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. truetype

truetype

So what's the right term for a sharp price rise within an uptrend?

3. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Continuation or resumption.

4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

An analogy would be a sports team rallying from behind to try and catch the team that's ahead. When the team that's on top scores more, it's not a rally---they are adding to their lead.

5. and this needed its own thread?

Chubbly likes this.
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

yes--and another thread needs to be created concerning the spelling of the word "lose". But I won't bother with that.

7. speedo

speedo

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary
    Rally.."To muster for a common purpose", "To come together again to renew an effort"

8. MarkGroes

MarkGroes

Do you want to rewrite Investopedia? :sneaky: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rally.asp :

What is a 'Rally'
    A rally is a period of sustained increases in the prices of stocks, bonds or indexes. This type of price movement can happen during either a bull or a bear market, when it is known as either a bull market rally or a bear market rally respectively. However, a rally will generally follow a period of flat or declining prices.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  9. %%
    I figured the same B1S2;
    but i use the words bull market uptrend. I also figured some use they word ''rally'' if they are bearish[ in a uptrending bull market].Your way makes more sense; especially since a bear market move up is WAAAAAAY different fom a bull market uptrend, moving up.Its such a practical difference,, makes one wonder if some ever saw a bear market.LOL

10. Piptaker

Piptaker

I tend to use the term corrective or correction to describe most moves these days..o_O

#10     Mar 13, 2017