Raising money - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by xtrhvydty, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Whatever...

When I was making 500 calls a day for 4 years it was just misery. No smiling.
    ------------------------------------------------

Agreed on your points.

#11     Aug 29, 2008
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

500 calls a day and 499 out of 500 i would have to be on my feet or my broker would throw his plantronics at me....it was the school of hard knocks :D

#12     Aug 29, 2008
  3. tomu

tomu

Have you tried talking to Stock Brokers/Financial Advisors or Wealth Managers? I have known some guys who have had luck raising capital this way. A Finacial Advisor would love to be able to give his client a 50% return. So it is easier to sell a Financial Advisor on you than it is to sell an individual person. And the Fiinancial Advisor will be the one who has to sell it to his qualified clients.

#13     Aug 29, 2008
  4. Do you have a nice office?
    A nice website? Nice brochures?
    And so on...

If you expect to manage millions, you have to look like worth millions.

#14     Aug 29, 2008
  5. I am trying to do the same thing you are. Here are some suggestions:

1.) Write a business plan that describes your trading system as a complete business, not just a trading system. This will add some professionalism to your presentation to accredited investors.

2.) Post your system on www.Collective2.com or a similar site that tracks your system's performance statistics. Expect to have it up for at least 1 year before you will get any interest. In the menatime, you may get some subscribers willing to pay for your trading signals.

Best of luck.

Sincerely,
    Daryl

#15     Aug 29, 2008
  6. It is a major bear market. Maybe investors are not interested in investing now. It is just not the right time.

#16     Aug 29, 2008
  7. Generally, you'll have a very hard time attracting any money unless you have at least a 3-year documented track record of consistent returns.

We all have a few months that are especially good, so that you made money since April doesn't count for much if you want to raise funds.

Just look at Schindler for someone who worked really hard, did well for 1-2 years, then blew up. Hard to stay on top for years. Investors know that.

#17     Aug 29, 2008
  8. Been through what you are going through and most of the replies you have received are right on cue. I got a bit lucky because people approached me to trade their money so I had a client base off the bat. Once you make people money you'll have no trouble finding more money. The problem is getting your first few investors. I think Prop is probably your best alternative right now unless you want to do friends and family. I think it was cgarcia who wrote you have to have professional looking brochures, business cards, presentations, etc.....he's exactly right. Not only do you have to be able to make money but you have to look very professional and knowledgeable telling people about it. The best way for you to break into this business would first be friends and family and let the rest develop or Prop. The magic pill----->>>>>just make a few people money and you'll have no trouble finding more money.

AND, perhaps more importantly, if you really want to get attention you have to put eye-popping numbers in front people. Your 64% annualized return is terrific but to really get someone's attention you need to put a zero after that. Off the bat, people really don't realize how much risk you have to take on to do 640% but once you have their funds you don't have to take on the same kind of risk because you are going to sell yourself short of that kind of number. Trust me when I tell you, if you can turn a number like that you'll get <b>A LOT</b> of attention, just be clear up front that you'll never attempt to do that with their money.

#18     Aug 29, 2008
  9. This definitely plays a large role. Investors are upwardly biased and even the sophisticated ones don't fully understand how anyone can make money in a bear market. I've explained selling short to a large number of people and no matter how often you try to explain it they just don't get it. A bull market would definitely help your cause.

#19     Aug 29, 2008
  10. ammo

ammo

your story about having to pull the money out could sound like ,and then i lost it,which is probably why you are not getting any responses. Work for awhile,save 5k-10k, start over. If you are trying to sell this thing,act as if you don't really need that person as an investor,whoever picks you up will make a fortune attitude, and then walk away. People are greedy,if you leave them hanging and start walking they may call you.

#20     Aug 29, 2008