Raising Kids: Torn between Religion and Science

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Baron, Nov 19, 2012.

1. I like to add this: We can also assume the Christian is charitable. Someone attends church is expected to contribute. Athiests have no obligation to tithe.

Also, in times times of catastophe, for example the twin towers on 911, believers can go and light a candle in church, where as I can only suppose the atheists goes home and says "fuck Bush".

#21     Nov 20, 2012
  2. Athiest and the devout should ALL have said, "FUCK BUSH"! (And that's not as bad as "DOUBLE FUCK ODUMBO"... 'cause as HORSESHIT as Bush was, he's a PEACH compared to Odumbo!)

I don't see one's moral compass having anything to do with religion.

#22     Nov 20, 2012
  3. a thinking person might want to get an answer as to why an all powerful god allowed 911 to happen.
    if a police officer stood by while a gunman gunned down a bunch of your family would you later go thank the guy?

#23     Nov 20, 2012
  4. Mav88

Mav88

you can take or leave my atheist thoughts...

on 9/11 I was shocked and angry, my thoughts were all about those poor people on those planes and killing al quaida

the fuck bush part came after Iraq and after his unpaid drug benefit. atheism has nothing to do with leftist politics despite what many of them wanting to make that connection.
    I do wish they would stop that crap.

I am very good to the people around me, not because I fear for repercussions after I am dead, but because I fear the repercussions in this life. Charity for me is about how it makes me feel about my self. Selfish yes, but at least I'm not a burden to anyone, well until my new scheme of getting gov't money starts.

#24     Nov 20, 2012
  5. Mav88

Mav88

I will say this about atheism. It sure must be nice to look forward to death for believers. Death scares the hell out me, to the point where if I dwelled on it too much I think I would develop serious psychological problems.

It's funny, I'll be doing something pretty mundane, then suddenly I'll think about how meaningless it is since I'll be dead in 50 years. In the middle of 'important' meetings with 'important' people, I'll think about how delusional everyone is. Then I shrug and accept it.

I think what keeps me going strong is the thought of passing something on to my kid and hopefully grandkids. Otherwise I'd probably be Alaska now.

#25     Nov 20, 2012
  6. It sure must be nice to look forward to death for believers
    ------------------

If I run into the same people in Heaven or Hell as I did on earth. oi, there's trouble....:D

#26     Nov 20, 2012
  7. Wallet

Wallet

Baron,

I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church, my Father was a Pastor, so naturally I was grounded, better said saturated in the Christian ethics and religion. However when I left home, I went through a rebellious time, finding my own way.... Later, I returned to my Christian roots and upbringing, today it's one of the most important aspects of my life.

I have two Sons, both grown and outside the home. I encouraged both as children to be active in Church, attendance was required, but participation was totally voluntary, both were musicians and decided to play for the church on Sundays, they did for several years...

As they grew up, both went through their own "soul-searching' periods, totally absent from Church. One's a Professional Musician, the other severs in the Military.. Today, to my happiness, both have returned to their childhood religious roots, reaffirming their faith in God. But the decisions later in life were theirs after seeing what the world had to offer.

Don't deny your children choices. You might be surprised at the results when you let them sort it out.

Regards,

#27     Nov 20, 2012
  8. When I was about 10 my best friend dad was a pastor. We set up a little labratory in the cellar, which caught fire one time. That's was the only time I heard the man swear.

#28     Nov 20, 2012
  9. pspr

pspr

It sounds like he eventually suffered from overload. The fact that he renounced the existence of God has no bearing on the truth of the matter. My point was that theologians have no more proof of or denial of God than the rest of us. It is all steeped in faith.

#29     Nov 20, 2012
  10. Doesn't mean they are right.

Religion gives people comforts... all phony, in my view, but comforting nonetheless.

But that's just me. I'm a creature of logic... schooled in hard science. I take NOTHING on faith where there is a choice.

#30     Nov 20, 2012