Raising Kids: Torn between Religion and Science

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Baron, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Teaching your children that the Bible is literally true is simply lying to them. If you don't mind lying to your kids then go ahead and let them be brainwashed by religion. Let them carry unnecessary guilt they will have to get over someday. Religion is not needed to learn morality or to keep people "in line". It's just an opiate for the pain and fear of the masses and it warps a clear intellectual stance. Learning to suspend rational thought, which is a requirement for belief, is not a helpful skill.

OTOH, teaching them that Jesus, Buddha, Confucious etc were very wise men with good things to say is a good idea. But any one church save perhaps the UU Church will never do that. Teaching sympathy/empathy is probably all that's needed. The ol' "Do unto others" thing.

#11     Nov 19, 2012
  2. Mav88

Mav88

and teaching kids that we are all equal is also lying to them

we are talking about a 6 year old here, and Baron would like to stay married I presume

#12     Nov 19, 2012
  3. Oh yeah. We need to teach them that there are bad Muslims and other types who don't believe the "real" truth that only our side knows. The sooner the world is free of religious dogma the better.

#13     Nov 19, 2012
  4. I have a cousin who was devout all of his life.

He was only months (weeks?) away from being ordained a Catholic priest.... when he gave up on religion and told me, "none of it is true".

#14     Nov 19, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

Did God tell him? Oh, wait...

#15     Nov 19, 2012
  6. Your son will know the myth from the science in his world if you talk to him. And he will have love and respect for people without religion.

#16     Nov 19, 2012
  7. BSAM

BSAM

Brother Baron, don't judge Jesus by what you see in man.

#17     Nov 19, 2012
  8. I feel the same way about Evolution. For example...

1. Where did the space for the universe come from?
    2. Where did matter come from?
    3. Where did the laws of the universe come from(gravity, inertia, ect.)
    4. How did matter get so perfectly organized?
    5. Where did the energy come from to do the organizing?
    6. When, where, why, and how did life come from dead matter?
    7. When, where, why, and how did life learn to reproduce itself?
    8. With what did the first cell capable of sexual reproduction reproduce?
    9. Why would any plant or animal want to reproduce more of its kind since this would only make more mouths to feel and decrease the chances of survival? (does the individual have a drive to survive, or the species?" How do you explain this?
    10. how can mutations(recombining of the genetic code) create any new improved varieties? (recombining english words will never produce chinese books)
    11. Isnt it possible that similarities in design between different animals prove a common creator instead of a common ancestor.

and my favorite

12. Which evolved first(how and how long did it work without the others)... The digestive system, the food to be digested, the appetite, the ability to find and eat the food, the digestive juices, or the bodys resistance to its own digestive juices?

(thats just a start...I didnt want to overwhelm you).

I think this observation is probably a little skewed.
    If a Christian tells a lie, it seems like its much worse than if an Atheist tells a lie because Atheists are not held to a higher standard. Ask yourself this...which would most likely get headlines in the paper...if a Christian volunteering at the church stole $1,000 out of the coffers for himself, or if an atheist stole $20,000 from his place of work?

The Christian would likely get national headlines while I doubt the atheists story would even get the back page of the paper. I guarantee that the Christian would be condemned right away without question, while people would ask "What did the atheist need the money for?" before condemning him.

The truth is, everyone is bad...atheists & Christians alike. Some are worse than others. I would suggest reading the bible the whole way through before making a decision on what to do with yours and your childrens life. And remember that the old testament was written in hebrew(which is an alpha numeric language) so sometimes you will see things that seem a bit off, but when you apply the numbers, it makes alot more sense.

#18     Nov 20, 2012
  9. Sorry most of your questions have to do with abiogenesis and cosmology not evolution.

However to be fair liberals make the same mistake thinking evolution solves everything.

#19     Nov 20, 2012
  10. I doubt it... His actual words were, "IT'S ALL BULLSHIT!" (If a god existed, would he use such language?)

A shocking catharsis from him... he was SERIOUSLY steeped in Catholic dogma his entire life.

#20     Nov 20, 2012