Raising Capital For Fund

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by youngtrader, Nov 4, 2007.

1. its great to have the dream.

however, reality is giving up 80% of your profits in a fund structure is not where it's at. these guys are right--prop is the way to go as a trader without SUBSTANTIAL capital.

best wishes,

surf

#11     Nov 4, 2007
  2. What P/L?

If you have been trading for 6 years, and you are 17, how do you not have at least 20k stashed away? It's not like you have any real expenses.

Oh wait, lemme guess, your results, they are on paper.

#12     Nov 4, 2007
  3. lol nice guys. No my results are actual results with real money (the only way to trade). Starting at such a young age I don't really have that much money and as you can imagine 4 out of the 6 years were not that good. My current lump sum is a little over $10,000. Its actually kind of fun doing this and one of the reasons for this thread was to see how much insult and critisism I would get for saying I started dabbling in the markets at 11 years old. I know most of you don't even believe that but I don't really care because its the truth. Hey and hydroblunt my money says I could run circles around you and your little buddies trading. You just keep sitting at home waiting for your mom to get home and make you some pizza pockets! The real kid is you man.

Sorry about getting a little out of hand but for some reason I knew I wouldn't get a whole lot of good advice but to the ones that did give me some tips thanks.

PS anyone looking to dump a few K on a 17 year old kid looking to start a fund send me a pm lol.

#13     Nov 5, 2007
  4. yoyoman2

yoyoman2

Speaking as a guy who is developing his CTA and working on becoming a fund manager i'll chime in...

i'll also be the one guy here who wont put you down and actually give you some real advice ...

First go to college and trade there (thats how Ken Griffin of citadel got started)

After your out and have a LONG track record of trading show it off and try to get into a fund. Or go prop ... rock it and start your own fund. You'll need signifigantly more then 20 - 50 K...

It wont be easy but if your if your smart and know how to market yourself someone will give you a shot. With 10 K and 100 % annual return you'll be a millionare in less then 7 years.

Good luck!
    ~yoyoman

#14     Nov 5, 2007
  5. on the money

on the money Guest

If your so good and record is so impressive why would you want toi share the revenue with anyone. Go it alone and keep 100%. Either you are looking to experiment with opm, or you are full of $@%&. In two years of "successful trading" you have net 10k? You are a con artist, go look for fools somewhere else.

#15     Nov 5, 2007
  6. Don't even think about starting a fund without $5 million minimum. The expenses will eat you alive otherwise. Prop is the way for you to go, no question.

#16     Nov 5, 2007
  7. Are you kidding me? You're a 17 year old punk who thinks he is special because you were able to make a few dollars with the minimum size over 6 years. Did you completely overlook the bull market commodities have experienced in the last 6 years? A buy & hold strategy did better than your "trading".
    Then you proceed to try to insult me? I should take your a$$ in the ring, give you an old fashioned ass whooping and send you running back home in tears.

When you get out of mommy's & daddy's house and actually trade FOR A LIVING for a few years, come back and talk some sh*t. Until then, you are just a snot-nosed punk who needs to step back & learn some humility.

Turn 18, go join a prop firm, get the leverage and MAKE your 20k-50k that you require. In other words, put your money where your mouth is. The only way I foresee anyone giving you cash is out of pure stupidity or charity.

#17     Nov 5, 2007
  8. minmike

minmike

If 4 out of 6 years were not that good, then I do believe that your P&L is speaking for itself. if you had 4 or 6 bad months in 6 years people might be interested. People want consistency. They don't want to give money to someone who will just swing for the fences. Just trying to give constructive criticism. Learn more about Sharpe Ratio's.

#18     Nov 5, 2007
  9. youngtrader, this is coming from an old fart (ahh...middle aged fart) who has a ton of experience in the stock market.

If you want to accomplish this dream you MUST go to college. Having a track record isn't enough, especially if it's with a small amount of money, which is suspect is the case given your age.

Step 1: Go to college and major in an analytical field - i.e. engineering, finance, statistics, mathematics, etc.....and get good grades!

Step 2: Get a job with a reputable firm -- MER, GS, LEH. You may have to get a financial advisor job at a lower profile firm, depending on the school you graduate from but you really should get some kind of formal experience. Move to a better firm after you get a couple years experience. Get Licensed.

Step 3: Get an MBA and let your company pay for it. Work your tail off and make a name for yourself. An MBA isn't crucial if you have a track record but it opens A LOT of doors.

Step 4: After you have done all this, which will take you about 8 years (you'll be 26-28 if you hussle) start your own fund. Managing money is NOT reserved for the "pedigree, like 18 year old CalTech PhD genius and ran desk at GS" ANYONE can accomplish this goal. I'm living proof. I didn't go to Cal Tech or get a PhD but I do have an MBA from a private university. AND, I have an impressive track record. If you have both of these money will find you. You don't even have to market yourself. Money will find you!

At this point in your life you don't know what you don't know. You just don't have enough experience to manage money for someone else right now. Work hard to live this dream and someday you will.

Good things come to those who work the hardest. IM me if you want to talk further.

#19     Nov 5, 2007
  10. Another thought....develop a formal business plan and write down you goals on paper. I recently heard an interesting stat: In a recent Yale University Pole 5% of graduates wrote out a formal business plan and put goals down on paper. The earnings for this 5% exceeded the earnings of the other 95% COMBINED. Get a pencil and paper out. The world awaits you.

#20     Nov 5, 2007