Raid help needed. ARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 88888accountant, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Hey guys!

Long story short, I got a bug and somehow I put my storage drive in my array and lost all the info. I need to set it up again.

Does anyone know how to set up 2 raptor drives and one storage drive?

when I go into bios and set up a healthy stripe, it comes up scsi and doesnt show up in sata? I have my cd rom in ide 2nd master, but if I enable sata on raid the drives disapear, and it read scsi, not sata. I dont know if this is a pci problem or not.

I am using the asus a8n-sli mother board, and the manual is of no help at all.

Any halp would be great.

Im lost :(

2. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

Most RAID controllers are based off chipsets previously developed for enterprise applications, meaning SCSI drives. With most on-board RAID solutions, there's bridge that makes the SATA drives appear as SCSI to the RAID controller.

Are you using the 4 red SATA connectors that's managed by the Silicon Image RAID controller? That's the REAL hardware controller. You should see a POST prompt about 10-seconds in to hit CTRL-S or F4 to set up RAID configuration.

The other nVRAID option on that MB is more of a software-RAID and you need to install Windows with the F6 option in order to load the drivers that activate the RAID options. Even then, it becomes difficult to boot off software RAID. You want to disable the IDE RAID option in the BIOS.

Don't worry about it so much. Just set it up so that it works and leave it at that. Make sure your SATA drives have NCQ feature, makes a HUGE difference in performance, especially in RAID configurations.