Racism can't halt Indian takeovers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yuvrajjj, Dec 15, 2007.

1. 11Blade

11Blade

I find it remarkable that some of the people here say that India is not worth dealing with because of rampant class separation, child labor, disgusting poverty, bad social programs etc etc.

The country is the worlds largest democracy and ties together 100's of different cultures and is less than 60 years old in its current form.

Somebody said that the only reason to deal with a country is Economics. India does it cheaper for now than other places. Thats not entirely true. Ask Unilever and P&G why they have an India strategy? it will have a middle class bigger than the US. Just give it time. Its built on a few of the same tenet's that the US was built on, it just happened to start with 1 billion people instead of the 13 colonies.

Child Labor was rampant until the late Industrial Revolution in the US until the muckraker appeared. Political corruption was rampant in the US in its early years. (It is in some ways worse than India's because now its so insidious - at least you can estimate it as a cost of doing business in India).

For all the "cultural ill's" and "societal crimes" India will only benefit by mobilizing and uplifting its population, thats the reason to deal with India.

We are all racist to different degrees. Thats life. To be racist to the degree of degrading someone or denying them opportunity is offensive to me.

#31     Dec 16, 2007
  2. Not only Unilever and P&G but also Ford Motors, GM, Pepsico, Coca cola not to forget Boeing & Lockheed Martin & also Wal-Mart.

Anyway the US car dealers association are worried about the brand image of Jaguar & land-Rover but what about the livelihood of the labourers working at those facilities. Jaguar's workers union, Britain's largest manufacturing union "Unite" is endorsing the Indian co. over the Private equity player.

Also that British capital London is offering free offices to woo Indian Investors.

#32     Dec 16, 2007
  3. dewton

dewton

Keep things in perspective. India had its independence for only 60 years. The US? 230 years. It'll take some time for India to fix its problems.

#33     Dec 16, 2007
  4. ggoyal

ggoyal

What is the point of this useless thread? People, don't waste your time on this thread, the author is my maid's son. If i remember correctly, he works at Mcdonalds or something. He is just an angry guy. angry towards life. this isn't the first time he is talking about india this india that. I think we alll know where india stands in the economic world. Like i said earlier, like other third world nations, it has a long way to go.

It is the largest democracy only because the hypocrites who are disgusted by people talking about sex are busy fucking.

can we not have any stupid threads like these anymore? no wait actually we should, its a little entertaining at times.

#34     Dec 16, 2007
  5. Look I am a Brit but also an Indian and it really annoys me when people spout all this nationalistic economic babble. I only recently got an email forward from an uncle in Florida saying "India owns the West now"...

I have one word of advice...hubris is a poetically dangerous thing....it can rear it's head at any point. What India needs to realise is that a lot of it's growth comes from corrupt deals, low labour costs (i.e exploitation of the populas and at the same time, a populas that is blinded by the hope of becoming rich relative to their past) and the West's need to diversify their risks.

What is most apparent is that India is a good growth story but it's not about "owning the world"...business is about making money and humanity is about looking after others. A worrying trend in India is that a lot of students are simply embarking on computer science degrees as a guaranteed way to riches (a bit like those economics and MBA majors in the West)....however, studies have shown that they are spending their third year of their degree learning "human interaction". A lot are graduating by learning parrot fashion, but don't have the skills to interact or think laterally.

What am I trying to say? Well without this key ability. growth can only grow proportionally to demand for services. For India to really change going forward, it needs to make sure that growth through innovation is fostered and encouraged. I see very little of that. I know tonnes of people in India and everyone I talk to is stuck on the idea of becoming rich through their computer jobs. I'm afraid, with so many computer grads, all that will happen is that labour costs will increase and the Western demand will switch to other Asian countries such as Vietnam.

Jingoism is a dangerous pride to pin your economic hopes on. Buying Western brands doesn't make any country king. If the brands are bought for growth prospects then fine but if they are bought, because price is cheap, cash flow is huge, and the need to say "I'm the Indian who now owns a British brand", then....I'm afraid it's a recipe for disaster. Just to give you one example...a key to Jaguar has always been the build quality and the design skills. You can buy a brand but unless you can design the future...you are no Jaguar.

India...focus on your infrastructure, your values, remove the pride, diversify your skill set (ie...not everyone in blooming computing), improve your humanity and you'll go far. Never be contented with a misplaced National pride.

#35     Dec 16, 2007
  6. TGM

TGM

Well said. This should be read by any group that is full of themselves (including Westerners). The So-Called Western leaders (usually in just Anglo-Sphere) have sold things to in vogue foreign groups for a LONG time. They only rarely end up being good deals and even then only in the short run.

A great country will try to develop things in their own back yard. For an Indian (or anyone non-western) to come into a Western Country and do well is not uncommon. You are doing well under the laws and an economic system that were not designed by their fore fathers. To brag that they are taking over is a bit naive and actually funny.

#36     Dec 16, 2007
  7. NAVEEVIa

NAVEEVIa

Can any American explain to me the logic behind this silly arguement that Indian Ownership will reduce brand image.
    Some big americans firms have people from indian origin as CEOs, did their brand image suffer?

#37     Dec 16, 2007
  8. By 2100, half the people in the world will be Indian, or has some kind of indianness in their blood.

Why not take the bold steps necessary to cater to these new demographic developments in the world.

#38     Dec 16, 2007
  9. ggoyal

ggoyal

i see a lot of people making their first comments on elite trader. you guys/bitches r pathetic. you lurk around et and then actually become a member after realizing it is free to "protect" your nation?

#39     Dec 16, 2007
  10. Totally agree...that's what I meant...what I said applies to any group or country. Innovation is the only thing I respect. It's what true growth stories are made of. Anyone can buy x and sell for y. That's not growth...it's predictable and boring.

Also what people don't understand is that brands are dead (I know a lot about advertising) and it's all about Lovemarks...people stay loyal to products that they love so much, they could never go without. Brands are long dead. They're only alive, so that clueless CEOs can keep saying that buzzword and agencies can profit from charging serious amounts of money for "brand strategies".

It's simple...make something people love...innovate and people will buy it. Style sells.

I don't care if half the world's population is Indian, Chinese or Blooming Marsian by 2010. The world's population will grow full stop and if you innovate you can cater for all of them. You don't need to focus on one group.

ps:

New Post 12-16-07 05:36 PM

i see a lot of people making their first comments on elite trader. you guys/bitches r pathetic. you lurk around et and then actually become a member after realizing it is free to "protect" your nation?

I hope you're not referring to me. I only happened to find this site a couple of days ago and in actual fact am doing anything but protecting India. I'm giving the naive person who started this thread...something to think about.

#40     Dec 16, 2007