Rachel Maddow got owned on Maher

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Ricter, from what I have seen it's almost impossible to enforce. I could cite 1000's of examples in the drug industry and more related to the topic, the organic food industry. The so called "enforcement" just leads to more costs. Having said that, I have no issues with an individual suing the shit out of food company for false advertising which tends to regulate behavior in this country.

Don't get me wrong, liberals always like to twist this into I want NO regulations. That's not true. I want "minimal" regulations. I just think excessive labeling is cost intensive and the costs get passed on down to the user.

#51     Jun 25, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Fair enough. But without enforcement, how is the individual to know that they have reason to sue?

#52     Jun 25, 2012
  3. Mav this is all I said:

2nd post: Disagree max on gmo, if it has gmo put it on the label, period, simple.
    I don't want big corp. to decide what they think I need to know.

3rd and last post : We just have a different view, you trust big brother corp to look out for your best interest and I don't trust them to look out for me. To each his own.

That's not pounding the table is it?

#53     Jun 25, 2012
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

I just got angry at the contradiction in your statement. You want labels but then turn around and say you don't believe the labels. For some reason, every time a liberal gets a clever idea it means either taxes go up or end products go up. I'm just getting tired of these useless solutions.

#54     Jun 25, 2012
  5. Ricter

Ricter

Of course we're not even discussing the meaning of the GMO label, Man has been practicing artificial selection for millenia.

#55     Jun 25, 2012
  6. I never said I didn't believe the labels. I have no reason to not believe them.
    I can't imagine someone not wanting to know the ingredients in their food. Again to each his own.

#56     Jun 25, 2012
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

The labels are from the corporations. You don't trust the corporations. What am I missing here?

#57     Jun 25, 2012
  8. It's your reading comprehension again here is all I said.

2nd post: Disagree max on gmo, if it has gmo put it on the label, period, simple.
    I don't want big corp. to decide what they think I need to know.

3rd and last post : We just have a different view, you trust big brother corp to look out for your best interest and I don't trust them to look out for me. To each his own.

#58     Jun 25, 2012
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK, there you said it again. You don't trust them (the corporation) to look out for you. But yet you trust them on what they put in their labels? Come on man. Surely you can see where I had a problem with that statement.

#59     Jun 25, 2012
  10. Ricter

Ricter

We can have a reasonable amount of trust in the labels if 1) there are laws concerning what can and cannot be put on the labels, and 2) there is enforcement, e.g. spot checks, on the labeling. Even Lucrum (!) thinks food safety enforcement is a worthy government expenditure.

#60     Jun 25, 2012