Race

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pa(b)st Prime, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Yes, everyone needs help sometimes. If too much help is given, there is no reason for someone to find ways to survive, becasue the way to survive is given to them.
    For the women who was creative enough to find a way to save thousands of dollars by rationing money from welfare, but then her savings was taken away, this is a problem with the welfare system that does not promote independence, but keeps people down. Welfare system should award people who manage to save some of that money they are given. Maybe welfare should say they will match any savings a person can save, and apply it to an education for her children. Then those children will not follow the generation before them and be on welfare.
    Why should anyone on welfare save money if they can, when it will be taken from them if they do? No incentive for welfare people to do better.

#71     Jun 24, 2008
  2. How much government expenditure as a percentage of GDP is actually spent on welfare and other social programs?

#72     Jun 24, 2008
  3. We're over spending in every area, so the answer is too much.

#73     Jun 24, 2008
  4. What conclusions would this information provide? Today's poor man has a tv, yesterday's poor man had no tv.

#74     Jun 24, 2008
  5. And a DVD and and an Xbox and a microwave oven and a cell phone and a car..........but wait, no vacation home, no spa treatment for mom or space camp for the kids. C'mon, lets just go ahead and complete the whole package.

#75     Jun 24, 2008
  6. Yannis

Yannis

Welfare: Helping so Much it Hurts

March 6, 2008 by http://thepatriot.wordpress.com/

"Does anybody believe that the current welfare state is actually helping anybody? I just read a stat that would say no. Back in 1950 1 in 12 people were in poverty and the government spent less than 10 billion on welfare. Today 1 and 6 are in poverty and we spend over 300 billion. That is calculating inflation. So I ask again, is welfare really helping people or does it make them a slave? Doesn’t a welfare state create an environment that takes a persons ambition away? I know what you’re thinking, I don’t care about poor people. That isn’t the case. The case I am posing to you is this, “helping people” is not in the job description of the government. I believe that this burden should fall on the family, church, synagogue, mosque, chapel or temple. In a sense it is us to taking care of us, not via the government. We need to start taking a personal look at those around us and start helping each other. Quit waiting for the government, who doesn’t know what your neighbors needs and help them. We need to quit looking for the hand out and be the hand out. That is the change that will help America and those of our neighbors who are in poverty. As my dad would say, we need to be a “community”. THAT is being an American."

#76     Jun 24, 2008
  7. That is your opinion of course. Is there any evidence to support that opinion?

#77     Jun 24, 2008
  8. All boats rise with the tide. Wealth is to measured, like everything else, relative to it's environment.

So, today the rich has an in home theatre system, yesterday's rich man did not.

#78     Jun 24, 2008
  9. The wealth gap between rich and poor has increased, not decreased.

#79     Jun 24, 2008
  10. Whew, that was bad.

Let's see now...government.

Yeah, here it is.

Let's see...ummm.....ensure domestic tranquility, promote the general welfare, secure the blessing of liberty.

Liberty....I wonder where the term debt slave came from?

#80     Jun 24, 2008