Race

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Pa(b)st Prime, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jem

jem

I have observations about the break down in black culture in the U.S. but first a comment about whites.

1. Not from personal experience but because I have three sons who are blond and very light eyed... I have to stick up for their manliness. I can tell you right now people of all races have what must be a genetic reaction to light blond hair and blue eyes or light green eyes. I have no doubt women find those traits manly. In fact it starts early. My 8 year old son is already being chased by girls in 2nd and third grade. It is borderline out of control and pisses off some of his 2nd grade friends.

2. Blacks in america have been dealt some tough cards. Our middle class's wealth was created by the post WWII housing boom which blacks were redlined out of.

3. Also, employment protection laws make it very expensive for small business owners to hire blacks. Especially in California where wealth and business ideas are incubated.

4. Quotas and other protections like affirmative action makes middle class resentful of blacks. Rich white people on the whole do not care about the color of persons skin - they just want to see that the person fits in. A well spoken educated black guy dressed in a button down and brooks brothers suit who speaks well and wears eye glasses has many open doors. But in my opinion employment protection laws increase prejudice in ares where blacks feel it the most.

5. David Stockman an economist who worked for Nixon wrote a book in the early eighties showing and predicting that welfare would marginalize black men, making them unnecessary as providers and cause a break down of black families and culture.
    His prediction have proven out.

6. Prior to the civil rights movement there was a black entrepreneurial class that thrived. Many cities had areas where black business were patronized by blacks. When blacks got equal rights they exercised those rights by shopping in formerly white businesses... Messing up black business for 40 years.

The list goes on.

No doubt a great deal of blame should now be placed on black leadership. They maintain their power blocks by keep blacks thinking the wrong way. I think blaming slavery is stupid. Blacks should be blaming liberal whites politicians for being stupid and black leaders for being stupid and corrupt.

In short red lining and liberal paternalistic views towards blacks have helped contribute to the break down in black culture and black self reliance. I believe all people are responsible for their choices as individuals, I blame liberal programs for our problems as a society.

#61     Jun 24, 2008
  2. Agreed.

And, do you know who tried to point this out first?

One the most vilified of all blacks...

Malcolm X.

#62     Jun 24, 2008
  3. This is complicated, so maybe I don't understand all of this. I want to say that even if a person has a certain gene that might make them better or not better at acheiving a goal, why do some people adapt and do better? I think it is because they have learned how to adapt by looking around them to see where their opportunity is. They don't blame racism for their troubles and ask to be helped. They find thier own path. So in America there is more freedom to find opportunity for black people, than in other countrys.

#63     Jun 24, 2008
  4. Stop giving away the freebies and everything else will fall into place. That's the way nature intended things to be. Those that don't take care of their responsibilities will fall by the wayside.........just the way its supposed to be.

There, that's simple isn't it.

#64     Jun 24, 2008
  5. Yannis

Yannis

I really sympathize with those in need. Yet, there's a fine line to walk, an important balance to keep, between helping (temporarily) someone in need, and creating a whole class of people who take that help for granted and use it to justify their unwillingness to work hard like those whose taxes pay for that help. I can help my daughter with her homework here and there, but, if I end up doing it for her regularly, I'd be hurting her in the long run.

#65     Jun 24, 2008
  6. 5. David Stockman an economist who worked for Nixon wrote a book in the early eighties showing and predicting that welfare would marginalize black men, making them unnecessary as providers and cause a break down of black families and culture.
    His prediction have proven out.

-------------------

Agreed. Welfare kicked the man out of the house.

Secondly, I agree that redlining basically caused the growth of the ghetto's. A slum "rental" has the highest returns.

Also, the blacks are sorted directly by income (project housing). Here's an apt, if you make more than 500 dollars a month you are out. If the tenant gets promoted on the job or has a salary increase, out he goes and is replaced by another "poor" tenant. We drive by the projects and have the impression that the "race" of the housing is all bad. No it is not, it is us seeing the different poor people everyday with a different face.

Imagine getting kicked out your suburb house because of income qualifications. Oh you make too much money, you can't live in this zip code.

Mortgage money flows to "fresh" undeveloped land and with it the dependence on the auto.

Big noise about urban renewal, DOA. You want urban renewal start with the schools, charter schools are the nearest thing to hope and they are getting beatin down at every turn from the unions.

Shut down those inner city paraochial school, they don't want to run a day care for dysfunctional students with state mandated social criteria and I don't blame them.

#66     Jun 24, 2008
  7. Well you see, when blacks are breaking into homes and businesses all over the city and carjacking cars and so many are standing on street corners selling drugs and on and on............I'd say that IS the big picture. We're just discussing ways for you guys to get your act together, so that some of us don't have to work so hard to hold on to our own shit.

#67     Jun 24, 2008
  8. Yannis

Yannis

I remember reading that case in Business School where a poor widow and welfare recipient worked odd jobs here and there, babysat for other mothers, stayed out of trouble, ate saltine crackers and peanut butter, fed stale bread (that she was getting for free) soaked in milk to her children, maximized whatever she could get from her church and the local soup kitchen where she was helping out for some extra supplies, and managed to save a few thousand $$ at the bank, hoping to get out of that misery.

The bank manager alerted the welfare people WHO TOOK THAT MONEY AWAY! Back to welfare from month to month until the kids grow old enough.

True story. Never underestimate some civil servants' stupidity and indifference to the plight of the needy, especially those who show even a modicum of independent spirit or desire to "get out of the system." Sad but true. :(

#68     Jun 24, 2008
  9. Its true, substantial adjustments to the system are necessary.

But the bottom line is personal responsibility: If you can't afford to have children, don't have them. And if you're the man, and you screw up, then cowboy up and take care of your own kids.

#69     Jun 24, 2008
  10. Yannis, tenants will do it to each other. Any small sum from an inheritance or lotto , they buy a new tv or new curtains and they can"t let anyone in their apartment for fear someone is jealous and will report them. This creates anonymity and fear among fellow tenants.

If the money is enough to give them a choice, they are gone. System has failed yet repeated again and again since the first projects was built (name your city they're all the same).

#70     Jun 24, 2008