"Race To $2 Trillion" Has Now Entered The WS Vernacular

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by vanzandt, Jul 9, 2020.

1. vanzandt

vanzandt

It took 100+ years to get here:

23 months and one global pandemic later:

AAPL $1.65T
    MSFT $1.61T
    AMZN $1.54T

How's that work?

2. danielc1

danielc1

Printing money

jys78 likes this.
  3. jys78

jys78

It works very well in my opinion!

The same phenomenon has always and most likely will always be true, just the decimals change. We'll get to a 2 quadrillion market cap a LOT faster than it will take to get to 1Q.

4. S2007S

S2007S

The fed and their trillions in liquidity. If it were not for any of the feds free handouts and trillions lf printed dollars apple msft and Amazon would have market caps of less than $250 billion.

5. S2007S

S2007S

The way they are trading they will have 3 trillion dollar market caps by 2021. 3 companies making up half the US gdp. Yep something is very very very wrong, but as they say this time its different. Right?

apdxyk, jys78 and vanzandt like this.
  6. SteveM

SteveM

A glance at Apple:

FY2015 net income was $53.39B
    TTM net income was $57.22B

12.31.2015 share price was: $105.26
    Current share price is: $373.85

Annual net income is up 7% in total over the last 5 years.
    Share price is up 251% over the same period.

7. S2007S

S2007S

There you go. Stock price is absolutely ludacris. There is absolutely nothing that warrants apples stock price at where it trades today.

SteveM likes this.
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Hhahahha. I knew you would chime in. I almost put a where's @S2007S in the first post. :D

ElCubano likes this.
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

I disagree with that. Yes its easier now for the Dow to go up 1000 points than it was in say the year 2000, its all a percentage thing like you say.... the actual number is arbitrary... but these are real companies and we are talking real dollars. Has our GDP went up 50% in the last two years? Has the world's? There's only so much money out there. Last I looked, John and Suzie Q. Consumer haven't seen their paychecks jump 50% in the last 2 years, and where the rubber meets the road... a business is a business is a business.

The only thing going up with these companies is their multiples and that expansion is not justified when GDP's worldwide are anemic. Either these companies take that money from other companies, which AMZN has done quite well, or something is seriously amiss.

It is money printing, but you can mark my word, water always seeks its level. When the printing ends, there's no more growth... and PE's of 30+... they drop to the 10's.

If you bought microsoft today and took it private, it would take you 39 years to recoup your investment. Sure that doesn't include growth, but right now MSFT has PEG ratio near 3. That's ridiculous. Where's all that money going to come from? I can find a dozen examples like this.

NoahA and SteveM like this.
  10. S2007S

S2007S

Indeed :D

#10     Jul 9, 2020