R vs MATLAB

Discussion in 'App Development' started by a-greenwell, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Thanks for very useful information. I'm quitting slow analysis in VBA trying to check out something else, and was looking for C#, but then I got to read about all these other programs and languages.

I'll stick with learing C#, even though I think it will be a steep learningcurve!

Kind regards
    Espen

#71     Aug 28, 2012

2. Any of the available options have their strengths and weaknesses. The nice charts and graphs from R are no fluke. R is extremely good at visualization. As an investment, VisualStudio (for both C/C++ and C#/VB.NET) is a great IDE to invest in.

I see nothing wrong with mixing and matching, as long as you are aware of the strengths/weaknesses/tradeoffs involved. Visualization in R, analysis in C#, website in PHP, trades in C++, xyz in ABC.

#72     Aug 28, 2012
  3. Could you explain why depth is irrelevant in FX trading?

I know there is no central exchange in FX market so the depth is only relevant for the broker/dealer you are working with, but still, I think depth will give microeconomic insight into where the market is headed.

#73     Aug 28, 2012
  4. Why software such as Amibroker, NinjaTrader, Tradestation, Multicharts, Wealth-Lab… would not fit your needs?

#74     Aug 28, 2012
  5. Most of of them only offer only canned routines within a closed proprietary environment that is limited in scope.

Most do not have things like multiple cointegration models, multiple option pricing models, adequate performance analytics (VAR etc.), or anything like the data handling (time frame transformation) graphics capabilities of R (or Matlab) or the richness of the graphics tools of R. (Some do have some of these capabilities).

I have found that most of them cannot even do simple tasks such as handle say butterfly spreads and butterfly spread orders.

Also, in the case of R, all of this is open source so it is easier to reimplement it later in C or whatever when needed than if you are locked inside a proprietary environment using tools whose algorithms are at best loosely documented.

#75     Aug 29, 2012
  6. Hmm. How about AMM through Orc Liquidator?

#76     Aug 29, 2012
  7. Or Actant, or TBricks. I think there are plenty of commercial tools that calculate things properly. It's just that these tools cost a heavy engagement ring per month and are not aiming the small retail investor.

Cheers

#77     Sep 20, 2012
  8. Java as well. And Verilog of course.

#78     Sep 20, 2012
  9. sle

sle

Calculating your deltas with the functions included in either is a sure way to get arbed.

#79     Sep 20, 2012