R Programming for Traders, Helps small traders compete with Hedge Funds

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Murray Ruggiero, Feb 9, 2017.

Are you going to look into R programming for your trading in 2017

1. I just like simple systems , no need for fancy technology

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. I already looked into R and or Python

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. If it would help , I would be willing to learn.

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

I wanted to start a thread on, R programming for traders. I wanted to make a case I also made in my articles in futures/modern trader. Because of all of the libraries available( GPL) traders can research machine learning and advance modeling without having to develop the core technology themselves. This is there only chance to compete with large traders.

How many of you are looking at R for machine learning and modeling ?

dunleggin and JefeTrader like this.
  2. Great idea. Go ahead.

3. truetype

truetype

Does TradersStudio® interface with R?

4. R1234

R1234

I've written R programs and run them daily as one of the steps in trading my systems.
    Despite the hype, it's not the be-all and end-all for this type of application. I find it very slow for very large data sets even when using multiple core processing.

I have started to program my workhorse applications in Fortran now. I know it is considered a stone age language but it is super fast - it is a low level language like Assembly that is 'close to the hardware'. And none of the memory leaks, pointer complications like in C.

ajensen and truetype like this.
  5. ET180

ET180

There are ways around memory leaks such as smart pointers or even C# or Java, which if you were considering R, either of those languages should be fast enough.

6. How about an example app that can actually be tested on the users machine,

7. truetype

truetype

Here you go -- graph of rolling correlation of stock and bond daily returns --
    Code:
    require(quantmod)
    require(PerformanceAnalytics)
    getSymbols(c("SPY","TLT"),src="google")
    TLTr<- dailyReturn(TLT)
    SPYr<- dailyReturn(SPY)
    chart.RollingCorrelation(SPYr,TLTr,60,main="SPY TLT Rolling 60 Day")

Rationalize likes this.
  8. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

TradersStudio Turbo 2017, will have an addin for R programming. You can embed R into your systems, indicators.

9. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

JefeTrader likes this.
  10. kent

kent

I have looked into few codes of R. I donot see much difference compared any similarly used language. I am a long time Programmer and have developed quite a bit EAs and Indicators using MQL4 and fail to understand the hype for R. Whatever be the language the logic/concept has to work first. IF it is working and programmable, then the language is immaterial. Unless there are some unique features of R which are not available in other languages then I can look into it.

#10     Feb 9, 2017