QUOTREK - streaming wireless quotes.

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Chuck_T, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Yes IB VP have announced yet in last November that the full Forex will be offer quickly, you can check on this forum for the Chat meeting with IB.

#11     Jan 12, 2004
  2. No way! I loved QuoTrek way back when... I was a subscriber for 7 years. Great news, thanks for posting Chuck!

arb.

#12     Jan 12, 2004
  3. JayF_eSignal

JayF_eSignal eSignal

For those of you wanting to see more, I posted some examples of QuoTrek over at eSignal Central. Here's the link...

QuoTrek Examples

#13     Jan 12, 2004
  4. It is very cool to see that companies like eSignal are taking an initiative with wireless. It is further proof that the networks are getting faster (Verizon's EVDO) and the devices are becoming more and more robust. Plus, it is good to see that traders want wireless access! :D
    There has been a big push in wireless FX quotes as we have added many FX users who wants streaming spot prices and cross rates. Good stuff!

#14     Jan 12, 2004
  5. corvus

corvus

Ah, I missed that chat! Thanks...

#15     Jan 12, 2004
  6. Can you recommand few Pocket PCs that has best
    remote capabilities for faster feed, charting, trading
    access?

I am considering to buy HP5555 iPaq PDA , any better
    devices to look for? Price is not an issue? Thanks

:) and this question is for "Hillcast2": Is HP coming out any soon
    with more advanced PDA than HP5555 ipaq 400MHZ ,128MB Ram?

#16     Jan 12, 2004
  7. Chuck_T

Chuck_T eSignal

riskarb,

Great to hear from an old Quotrek user. It seems like old users are popping up everywhere now that we are talking about the New Quotrek.

Once launched we'll start doing Open Houses in the major cities so traders can see it up close and LIVE!

Chuck
    @eSignal

#17     Jan 13, 2004
  8. Hey Chuck, I used the Old Quotrek back during 94-98. The old unit for those who are unaware was an FM receiver that had a battery life of over 8-10 hours per charge. What I need to know is since you are offering the new quotrek as software via wireless signal this time used on a different manufacture's wireless receiver (Blackberry, Palm etc) What is the approximate battery life of these devices? I would imagine that to make this an effective campaign for Quotrek 2 that you would have to at least consider that these devices be able to run for over 7-8 hours on one charge (assuming the worst case scenario where the user is mobile the entire trading day, aka outdoors). Have you checked into this? Thanks.

#18     Jan 13, 2004
  9. Great news Chuck! I'll be sure to make the Chicago open house.

arb.

#19     Jan 13, 2004
  10. The quotrek, my old friend. Quotrek was very useful to me back during 94-98 especially during 94-95 when I would use that "high tech" gadget to receive quotes via FM radio waves. The unit had a little stand "like a desktop picture frame" that would prop it up so you could leave it on your desk all day. Back during 94-95 I was working at Oppenheimer Brokerage in the World Financial Center. The computer quotron (not to be confused with the quotrek); (that black and green screen low tech puke) was far away from my "cubicle". So with the quotrek I would be able to have it follow 30 or so stocks and also have alerts on them for price or volume. It was damn handy machine. It looked like a handheld radio to the untrained idiots aka my bosses and they never bothered me about it. Thats because the antenna was 3 feet long or so it seemed.

During this time I was swingtrading. I would print my charts out at night from my Telescan charting system on my 386 computer and 28k modem. I would identify the best trades for 1-10 day trading periods and set my alerts on my quotrek for the breakout or breakdown as the case may have been. My charts would be in a nice little folder entitled "Things to get done for Oppenheimer today" so nobody would be suspicious. Once my alert would go off in realtime on my quotrek I would pick up the phone to call my WaterHouse Broker or NDB Broker. Remember there were no internet brokers back then. It would only take about 2-3 mins of waiting on hold to lovely music to get through to a broker. The brokers were oh so pleasant and always went through the same routine of asking your name, account number, Social Security #, and the secret question (Pets name). Afterwards a few customary polite societal exchanges would take place and I would place my trade. Then I would wait for them to repeat it back with the speed of a sham artist offering up info on a pay per minute 1-900 line. Finally after about 5-7 mins on the phone with my broker the trade would be placed and I would have to wait for another 5 mins or I would call back to see where I got my fill if at market or if at all, when at limit. For this I only paid about 35-50 dollars per trade, considered to be very cheap by the way at the time compared to a Fidelity or Merrill.

My quotrek was the backbone, the hardware of the operation that allowed me to escape my confines of corporate servitude. Quotrek you are like the poster that covered the hole in Shawshank redemption. I want to thank you little Quotrek and I'm glad to see you are reincarnated once again.

#20     Jan 13, 2004