Quotrek for Blackberry warning

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by riskarb, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Thanks, and yes, did receive your PM. I've returned the BB and will be using the PocketPC platform. I'm sure as soon as fedex drops it by I'll be signing up for MidCast.

Decided to go with the SprintPCS on the Hitachi G1000.

arb.

#11     Jan 29, 2004

2. arb,

i looked at the g1000, its a nice unit , although too bulky for my tastes. i presently run hillcast on sprints samsung i500--compact, powerful and long battery life. it's a great set up !

surfer

#12     Jan 29, 2004
  3. It should be noted that you do not have to be on a BES to run Midcast Pro on your Blackberry 6510 or 7510 via the Nextel network. All other carriers require the BES setup. Nextel put in place the technology that allows users to circumvent the Mobile Data Service property to access streaming data.

Just a FYI for your Nextel people! :D

#13     Feb 2, 2004
  4. Yeah, it is a bit like a catcher's mitt... Actually, I've bought the following:

http://www.panasonic.com/computer/toughbook/learn_more_tb34.asp

I'll be running Verizon's CDMA wireless card in the type II slot. The Toughbook is pricey, but runs a transflective touchscreen display and is built like a tank -- I'm pretty tough on hardware.

I'll have a mobile trading set-up that runs the full-apps in a package slightly larger than a PDA.

Best,
    riskarb.

#14     Feb 3, 2004

5. very cool !

surfer

#15     Feb 3, 2004
  6. Hopefully soon PDAs will reach that kind of functionality! Verizon has a solid network so you should have hardly any network issues....

#16     Feb 4, 2004
  7. Century

Century

For years I have found anything and everything related to eSignal to be a disappointment, from spotty products to lousy customer service, to unclear descriptions, lots of extra fees, and on and on. I like the look of Quotrek but am very hesitant to sign on soley because it is an eSignal product. I think I will go wireless cell based internet access mini-laptop(like Panasonic 34) instead. Much, much more flexible and useable and cheaper to operate as well. Unlimited Verizon access for $80 per mth. That is the base quotrek price with forex.

#17     Feb 9, 2004
  8. I've been using the Verizon data plan for only a day, but very happy with the performance. Network is rock-solid, no drops in signal/coverage

riskarb.

#18     Feb 10, 2004
  9. Verizon has arguably the best coverage around. That is a huge advantage of CDMA over GSM. Network is also a bit faster too.

#19     Feb 10, 2004
  10. Concur... Sprint's CDMA data was not as advertised. It seemed like they were unwilling to allocate the bandwidth, for lack of a better phrase. I would have to make repeated refreshes to do something as simple as websurfing.

We've a place in Tahoe and the service is nonexistent, although the modem would show excellent signal strength(Sprint). In major metro it's marginal and speedtests would show approx 50k downstream.

riskarb

#20     Feb 10, 2004