Quoting a post that has quoted text

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by uninvited_guest, Nov 23, 2005.

1. When you quote a post that already has quoted text both quotes should be carried over to your new post.

I notice the original quoted text is left out and this can make the quoted text meaningless. One way around it is to mess with the ET code and paste the original quote in, but you shouldn't have to.

2. cnms2

cnms2

You may want to experiment with the "list" tag instead of "quote". You can use it when you quote something to ensure that the replies to your message will include your quote.

I'm afraid I don't have a better solution for when you want to include a quote from a message to which you reply. You'll just have to copy and paste it.
    • Quote from uninvited_guest:
      When you quote a post that already has quoted text both quotes should be carried over to your new post.

I notice the original quoted text is left out and this can make the quoted text meaningless. One way around it is to mess with the ET code and paste the original quote in, but you shouldn't have to.

3. cnms2

cnms2

This is how it works ...

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The reason why it's done like that is to prevent the chain of quotes from getting out of control. I've seen some posts on other message boards which literally have 10 or more nested quotes. At that level and beyond, the whole board just starts looking ridiculous.

5. Ok......that makes sense. "nested quotes" that was the term I was looking for.