QuoteTrader or NinjaTrader and do I need Ensign or Sierra?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by cunparis, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Aok

Aok

Why?

What can it do that the others cant?

#21     Mar 6, 2008
  2. It's very simple, and open source, meaning that lot of programers devlop every day new scripts, indicators, EA's. For 50$ you can have your strategy turned in an EA. You can also learn mql4 language far robust and reliable than Easy language. The power of MT4 is that you have a huge community using it and developping it. We are all waiting an update that can be feed by ECN.

#22     Mar 7, 2008
  3. My quest continues.

NinjaTrader doesn't have watchlists, so it's out for me.

The same is said to be true of MultiCharts.

Neoticker looks like it has everything but it's very expensive for me. I may end up buying it if I can't find anything else. I don't like the hardware activation device, that's a major turnoff especially since I'm currently out of the US so I'd have to deal with shipping it to me, etc. What a pain.

I've been using QuoteTracker and so far it's the best but not perfect. Lots of annoying things with it. The drawing tools are very limited. It's cumbersome to add a stock to the watchlist just to be able to see its chart (makes eyeballing charts impossible, so I use Fidelity Active Trader for that).

On my list:

- I'd like to see Ensign & Sierra

If only I had more time..

#23     Mar 11, 2008
  4. Ninja doesn't have Watchlists...??

What do you mean by Watchlists exactly...? Can you not replicate this fuctionality via the 'Market Analyser' window...?

#24     Mar 11, 2008
  5. Hi maxpi,

You talk about OpenQuant being event driven.... Yes. But isn't Ninja Trader also event driven...? It seems to be.

I'm doing a comparison between Ninja and OpenQuant... so far I've only looked at NT, but will be moving onto OQ soon.

#25     Mar 11, 2008
  6. I do not believe so. For one, you can't name and save the market analyzer window. So the only way that I know is to save it as part of a workspace. If you have several market analyzers open you don't know which is which. Plus, something I really dislike about NinjaTrader is that you end up with 10 open windows which fill up the task bar and make it impossible to use the PC.

This program has a lot of potential. But the user interface is not very user friendly and the lack of watchlists is a dealbreaker for me.

I trade different strategies and like to have a watch list set up for each strategy so that I stay organized.

#26     Mar 11, 2008
  7. From what I saw, which was limited to just a couple days of playing with OpenQuant, is that it's great for backtesting but not so good for real time trading. I don't remember if it has charting and watchlists, please let me know.

#27     Mar 11, 2008
  8. I forgot to add that AmiBroker is also on my list of things to try.

#28     Mar 11, 2008
  9. In NinjaTrader, you can have multiple named workspaces open at the same time and switch between them using SHIFT-F3.

#29     Mar 11, 2008
  10. Qyu

Qyu

I use ninajtrader and their charting for my trades. I've never had a problem with their charting. The data for the charts comes from my broker.

I have E-Signal as a backup charting platform. You can plug E-Signal into ninjatrader which is nice so you can look at equities via Ninjatrader. I know not too many people currently on the forum like E-Signal as a charting platform but it gets the job done for now. If you're interested Ninja supports other data vendors.

Supported Market Data Vendors

* IQFeed from DTN
    * eSignal
    * TrackData
    * TradeStation
    * OpenTick
    * Yahoo Finance
    * Text file based historical data import

I'm happy with their order entry and have been using it for quite awhile now. It's not perfect but what platform is? Check Mirus Futures or AMP if you're looking for a broker. They both clear through Dorman Trading and offer NinjaTrader via ZenFire. Unfiltered tick data and the platform is fast.

I have an account at Mirus I like them better. Good customer service, commissions, and they really stress Education which a plus for clients. Good Luck :)

#30     Mar 12, 2008