QuoteTracker Slowing down my Internal PC Clock?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by FortuneTeller, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Good suggestions kinar (and everyone else). I will keep trying to figure it out. I hadn't thought it might be something conflicting with QT but not QT itself. I have a hunch that is where the problem lies. Time for some more detective work.

#11     Jun 21, 2008
  2. wildkactus

wildkactus Guest

FT,
    Has windows had and auto updated lately, If it has that could be your problem.
    These windows updates can be a pain.

Just a thought.

#12     Jun 21, 2008

3. He doesn't trade, but he has a nice trading office. Pics were probably stolen.

I run Quotetracker simultaneously on my back up machine. The machine did seem rather slower than normal when compared to my regular charting software.

Wondering if it's yet another MSFT "update" causing the issue. All the new releases suck up all available memory. Company should be renamed MicroShit.

#13     Jun 21, 2008
  4. Excellent Commentary

.................................................................................

Each software has its quirks....as everyone knows....and each person uses what they use ...to trade....because what they decided upon works for them....and may not work for someone elses's style of trading....

For QT and IQFeed....I found that just because the IQfeed service can provide 500 symbols in their basic service.....this does not mean that you can use them....this is a lot of data.....

If one finds that QT has the tools that they want to use.....one will need to structure their watchlists such that their internet connection....computer type....are optimized with respect to cpu usage....

QQQQ, SPY and other high volume stocks can be very taxing....and it can be that running 300 low volume stocks would run about the same as 50 high volume stocks....

My systems ran smoothly after I optimized my watch lists....however I did have memory issues prior to doing so with QT.....

In general most people would be safe with around 100 stocks....but if one goes to 300+stocks....one will have to pay a little more attention to the details....so to speak....

Also when markets become highly active, one may have to adjust down the watchlist even further for smooth performance....

Also you will want a capable computer, as this makes a big difference as well....

I also have Real Tick because they have good charts ....but Real Tick also has its quirks .....as do all of the softwares.....
    For whatever reason I find myself using QT charts the most often....

#14     Jun 21, 2008
  5. :D

#15     Jun 21, 2008
  6. AAA30

AAA30

Try clearing all the historical data. This worked for me in the past not sure why but if you have several watchlists and view both daily and intraday charts for a number of symbols it is a good idea to do this on a regular basis.

#16     Jun 22, 2008
  7. You also have the option in QT to enable or disable the "Fetch Quotes from all Portfolios" feature in the Data Source tab.

You can also simply "stop" quotes to certain Portfolio Watch Lists, while keeping the main portfolio page that you spend most of your time viewing, up and running. This can be done by clicking on the "Portfolio" tab and scrolling down the menu to "start quotes" or "stop quotes".

You can apply this to any "Watch List"
    or portfolio page that you have up.

In this way, you'll be able to cut down on demands placed on your bandwidth, memory, and processor.

#17     Jun 22, 2008