quotes and executions on volume spikes

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by trixy, Feb 20, 2003.

1. trixy

trixy

Today I was trading the Eurex futures through TT software and a chicago futures clearing firm. When the volume started shooting up at the US bond opening and then the half hour after the LEI economic number, I experienced quote issues and execution problems. The quotes were stale and what was shown was not there. Also, I would put in an order and it wouldn't get acknowledged on the softare for a few seconds, so I would put in another one and then get filled on both. I thought the first didn't go in so I would enter another one. When I would get the confirmaton of the fills, they would show up on my screen at the same time, though the time stamps on the fills were different. The tech guy, at the firm I would rather leave nameless right now as I am a new customer there, told me that this was a common problem during volume surges. That the servers going from the US to the Eurex get overwhelemed and this happens regularly. He compared it to old ecn issues on Nsdaq when they would freeze up during volume surges.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this really a common occurance or are people pulling my leg?