quote.com url for future quote download

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by andrasnm, Jun 24, 2003.

1. Anyone know how they work? I like to build a tool to collect eod prices for futures. apparently quote.com does provide free quote download but I have no idea of the url.

2. Edited In: You mentioned your developing something to download EOD quotes...you can always join their developers program...

http://finance.lycos.com/home/subs/qdp.asp

They've disable that free url feature in their LiveCharts web based program.

However, when it was working...the downloads didn't go to far back for intraday day...

I can't remember but I don't think it was more than a month worth of intraday data.

You'll see what I mean by how they disable the feature...

click on the below link...

then click the Chart menu...

then click the Export Chart menu...

you'll see that when you click on download ASCII or download to Excel...

it doesn't work and you get this message that you have to be a LiveCharts customer.

http://finance.lycos.com/home/livecharts/default.asp?symbols=ES03U

That menu use to be free downloads for many many years.

In fact...a sales rep told me once they didn't even know it was there along with a lot of other free urls.

He seemed shock and angry on the phone.

Within a week...most of those free urls were either removed (blocked) or you got some subscribe message.

I remember even some websites having a direct link to LiveCharts in which they had embedded livecharts into their site for realtime charts without Quote.com knowledge nor approval...

(stealing realtime data)

I think that crap and other stuff that was overloading their poor servers is what started them on their hunt to eliminate those free urls...

along with eliminating many subscribers that were sharing passwords and logging in at the same time.

In fact...years ago...I remember traders on mIRC selling their password access to QCharts...selling it to about a dozen or so users...

all logging in at the same time via the same user name and password.

It's amazing how QCharts took a few years to figure out this crap was going on...

I also remember...a few years ago...Quote.com sending out emails to many subscribers (not all subscribers got the email) in an indirect way to blame all their server problems on users abusing the system via sharing user names and passwords or logging in from one location on multiple computers...

some sort'uv bandwidth issue on the servers.

If there are still free urls out there for downloads or realtime charts...I'll be very surprised.

P.S. If your only looking for EOD quotes for a few futures...subscribe to them for 1month...download all the back data you need...

then unsubscribe to keep from being charge for a second month...

then manually (edit) your data collection software and add in the current info as each day completes.

About a few minutes worth of work each trading day.

NihabaAshi

3. and it is based on quote.com and yahoo.com quotes.
    I would be surprised if they are just simple members.
    As you have said maybe you can be a "developer" - whatever that entails.