Quitting SMOKING!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acronym, Sep 1, 2006.

1. 4re

4re

You won't gain weight that way.

#11     Sep 1, 2006
  2. There is one VERY EASY SOLUTION!!!!

Steadily increase activities where you normally would not smoke.

You can't smoke in a movie theatre. Go to the movies.
    You can't smoke in most restaurants anymore. Eat out.
    You can't smoke in the shower. Take lot's of showers.
    You can't smoke while having sex. Hump your brains out. :D

etc
    etc
    etc

#12     Sep 1, 2006
  3. it is possible to quit cold turkey.both my father and my father in law quit cold turkey as soon as they were told quit now or die by a doctor. that seems to suggest it is a matter of willpower.

ps. they both died painful horrible deaths related to smoking so it was too late.

#13     Sep 1, 2006
  4. So...in retrospect do you think they should have just kept smoking?

Seems quite unfair to go through the pain of giving up smoking only to later die from complications of the same vice.

#14     Sep 1, 2006

5. Which patch? All the ones i've tried just fall off.
    The best bet might be stopping the morning coffee (s), and get a bit of a workout in first thing in the morning.
    Having the lung capacity of a small frog, hocking up loogies all the time, oh yeah.

Flavour country.

:mad:

#15     Sep 1, 2006
  6. 4re

4re

I used the Nico-Derm 21mg. and cut them in half. 21mg is a lot of nicotine. Get a one week supply and cut them in half and use it for 2 weeks. Then get another one week supply and cut them in thirds. After those are all gone go without anything. You will go through slight withdraw after each stage of a couple of days but nearly as bad as cold turkey. Good luck with it.

#16     Sep 1, 2006
  7. Toothpicks! I'm dead serious. I quit 21 years ago and have had a toothpick in my mouth ever since. Gives me something to do similar to smoking.

#17     Sep 1, 2006
  8. A toothpick?

I know what you mean, but that doesnt deal with the anger aspect.
    Gum is a similiar strategy, its not the actual not-smoking part, near as i can tell. It's the , umm, temper.
    Something i've noticed, is smoking is very much a means to not deal with stuff.

Mostly, not quitting.
    And, not ripping anyone's head off by accident in the process, if it can be helped.
    This is a serious concern, i've heard of myriad instances of this, there's no rational way to control irrational behaviour.

How is it, most of my ideas on quitting, seem to involve-keeping smoking, to some degree. Cut down, patch etc.

#18     Sep 3, 2006
  9. ac,

Combine your quit regimen with exercise, i.e. a punching bag to get the rage out.

It's good that you're mad about your situation. Get mad enough at yourself, disgusted enough, and you WILL quit. But channel that rage into something productive, i.e. getting in shape.

#19     Sep 3, 2006
  10. Oh, i'm not mad. Im F##n FURIOUS.
    Disgusted? You, bet, your flagrant trolling takes the cake, but i already knew that.:)

Don't have a punching bag handy, but i have found that handy in the past.
    Not practical at the moment.-and i find it hell on my neck/knees too .
    I love it, but not low impact as i require now, i cant help but go overboard on it.
    Im a kickboxer/mma stylist, i cant just do "light" bagwork.

Not that i could manage a solid tai-chi routine right now, but still.

Seriously, having spoken to a number of professionals, there are instances of nicotine -withdrawal rage so severe as to have led directly to significant felonies, not that you hear about these things in the paper, but it happens nonetheless.

#20     Sep 3, 2006