Quiet in trading room

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tripledtrader, Jan 13, 2003.

1. These things have been around for perhaps 5 years not 15. If you need these advantages, I wonder how you have been able to support yourself trading futures for 15 years...

#21     Jan 13, 2003
  2. Thanks for the tip! Adding GS to my TWS page 7 ...NOW!

Anything else I should know about?

#22     Jan 13, 2003
  3. Rarely do I quote an entire post. This one is deserving. Of course I think so because I happen to agree with everything said here.

Not as if me quoting an entire post is anything meaningful to others... but I just thought I would mention it.

:)

#23     Jan 13, 2003
  4. Lescor, excellent post. Very well put. These are my thoughts exactly, and I have written to that effect several times on this sight. No hope whatsoever has to be in place: period. No 265 point reactions to a good ISM #; No AM gaps in the futures because Cisco's gonna make an extra 100MM in revs, No this "may" be the start of a new bull, No, is this the bottom nonsense?; No "productivity gains will save the day" (they were higher in the 1960s than 1990s, No YE index price targets etc, etc.

The herd has to be thinned..there are 8000 mutual funds, and 6000 hedge funds. I was looking (just for fun!) at a 90 yr chart of the DOW the other day, based on that we have two possible outcomes for 2003: 1. A complete and total give up in equities, which could wash out all traces of the bubble, ie prices go back to roughly 1994 levels (SP 480ish), followed by a long recovery and many up years (muted though) whereas SP 1550 may take 20-30 years to reach again. (Took roughly 25 years to exceed 1929 highs, and those 4 down years (29-32) erased 90% of the previous bull gains from the 20s; we are at 50%), or 2. like you pointed out this could be the start of long, tortuous period of going nowhere for years, like 1965-82, until all the pieces fall into place again for another mega bull cycle like 1982-2000.

It's going to be interesting to see which happens; I lean towards the latter, given all the govermental interest in keeping the stock market afloat, but woud prefer the former.

Hell, look at the intraday charts after 11:00AM, there's no interest now!

Have a good night

#24     Jan 13, 2003
  5. Carlos11

Carlos11

Triple D, I believe your initial post is a very interesting and accurate take on the current day market. Well Done.

Lescor, that was one of the most insightful and intelligent responses i have seen on this board yet. Good job.

Carlos

#25     Jan 13, 2003
  6. #26     Jan 14, 2003
  7. daytr8r

daytr8r

this is crap! you don't think the buy and hold investors have been washed out? where have you been? why do you think the housing market is experiencing an extrordinary boom? you think people want to talk about stocks? there is an incredible amount of apathy about the stock market. what you are espousing is the exact doom and gloom attitude that currently exists. do you think that you are so smart that you are one or two steps ahead of the general investing public. why don't you ask your friends about the last time they invested in stock. it's non-existent. what you are claiming to be the future is the present. i see opportunity around the corner, not the crumbling of our financial markets.

i have one more question for you... how long have you been trading? my guess is one, maybe two years.

#27     Jan 14, 2003
  8. Such a extreme opinions are everywhere of late. As far people owning or not owning stocks just look at the mutual funds cash positions. I think it is more a case of people getting hope on these rallies and averaging to the longer term losing positions. Furthermore I would suggest that stocks have become commoditised if you will. As such the extremes of up and down 200 Dow points seem to fall into that.

Also the extremely low put calls and VIX levels point to a very long or perhaps just uninterested market - time will only tell!

#28     Jan 14, 2003
  9. Crap? Check a DOW chart from 1929-32, not pretty. Then check the same chart from 1965-82, not good either, then check the chart from 1982-2000, especially 1995-2000, and tell me that people have given up hope. Hope is the only reason we are not at SP 600 or lower by now. I agree about the public not wanting to talk stocks anymore, but the apathy has yet to set in amongst the pros...but it might be starting soon.

And why do you see opportunity around the corner? What are the catalysts for higher stock prices? I can give you 10 off the top of my head for staying here or going lower.

I'd love to hear your case for opportunities around the corner.

#29     Jan 14, 2003
  10. Minime

Minime

My dad is still holding his retirement 100% long in the market. He's lost 75% so far. He still hopes it will pay him back. Many people can't even touch their retirements because it's administered by 3rd parties.

#30     Jan 14, 2003