Quicken to Esignal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Jasra, May 26, 2002.

1. Again:

Where is the deal?
    Why should I pay $19.95 if i must upgrade and pay $50/60 more?

marco

#31     May 31, 2002
  2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

While clearly biased, I think it's a fantastic deal but obviously individual needs and interests vary so... ultimately it's up to you to decide. We are providing a comparable service at a rate 80% off our standard monthly rate. Why eSignal and why is this a good deal? Here's just a few reasons:

--Industry leader. Over 20 years of experience as a real-time market data vendor.

--Full service data provider. Access to: US, Canadian and European Equities; US options, US Futures; selected European and Asian Futures; OTC Bulletin board stocks, Nasdaq Level 2, Dow Jones News, FOREX and much more.

--State of the art network. Dual, fully redundant ticker plants with data direct from the exchanges. 6 server farms located throughout the US to handle thousands of simultaneous users and connections.

--Unlimited Access to historical data.
    o 60 days of intraday data (expanding later this year).
    o Actual time and sales data for the past 2 weeks of trading.
    o Real-time tick charts with up to 10 days of data
    o 10 years of daily data on stocks and funds. Available 24/7.

--Powerful and easy to use charting.
    o Choose from 5 chart styles: Candle, Bar, Open bar, flow and line.
    o View all data in chart or tabular format. Built-in Price/Volume, Time/Volume and Point and Figure charts as well.
    o 25 powerful Analytics: Bollinger Bands, Accumulation/Distribution; Average True Range; ADX/DMI; Donchian and Envelop channels; Exponential, moving, volume weighted and weighted averages; fast and slow stochastics; MACD; RSI; Momentum; Parabolic SAR; Price Oscillator, Percent R and several more.
    o Two types of symbol overlay. Compare two stocks in separate panes of the same chart or combine them together to more closely compare their respective patterns.
    o Handy zoom in and zoom out tools along with a floatable quote window to help identify each bar

--Strong Commitment to Customer Service.
    o Unlimited toll free support in the US.
    o Integrated live online help directly from inside eSignal
    o Dedicated New Accounts Department for product training and education
    o International support from our office in London. Limited assistance is available in several languages: German, Spanish, Arabic, French, Italian and Russian.
    o Access to key web-based service tools. System Status, Service Bulletins, FAQ¡¦s, highly intuitive symbols guide, web conferencing and much more..

Thanks,

#32     May 31, 2002
  3. doher

doher

"I see 3 days intraday chart with little, little bars. Very useful.
    I want to add a Fast Stochastic to the chart, but i find only %K field.
    And the %D? Random numbers"?
    --------------------
    "You have access to 60 days of intraday history. If you are only seeing 3 days, you simply need to go into the Chart Properties, click on the General tab and change the drop-down box for # of days."

If 3 day bars are small - - is a free magnifying tool
    included in this fabulous deal -for 5 or more day bars?

"While our Standard Charting is sufficient for thousands of our customers, we did want to upgrade our charting capabilities and that's why we introduced the Advanced Charting in April. "

This chart is sufficient?

http://www.esignal.com/intuit/156f/

Bottom Line - - "sufficient" is a poor substitute for QQL

#33     May 31, 2002
  4. wild

wild

better stay with QQL then ...

#34     May 31, 2002
  5. OK.

QQL Real Time: $19.95+exchanges fees.

My configuration (monitor 1280x1024):

4 charts (5 or 15min)
    3 quote streamers (index + 2 different groups of stocks).
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Settings:

2 quote Streamers are linked to 2 different charts.

Every chart displays 1 to 3 indicators.

The are (Clayburg trading system):

1 Fast %K with Dual setting (7 and 45 in THE SAME PANE)
    1 %R with Dual setting (75 and 50 in THE SAME PANE)
    1 RSI with Dual setting (5 and 12 in THE SAME PANE)
    1 Volume + 20 & 50 SMA (SAME PANE)
    ---------------------------------------------------------

How much now?

marco

#35     May 31, 2002
  6. I think the next best provider to test drive is DTNIQ, you can't deny that it is a better deal than esignal, it includes almost everything, even options and option greeks.. and their next software 2.3 will bring it up to speed with QQL and even includes more features.. looks good on paper, need to test it.. seems like no one has posted their experience with DTNIQ, atleast not recent experiences.. if DTNIQ doesn't work out.. then qcharts.. until esignal gets more competitive price wise and drops the silly symbol count limit, I am staying away.. also their data feed was less reliable than QQLs IMHO..

#36     May 31, 2002
  7. You say that e-sigs data feed was not as reliable as QQL , and then you mention trying Qcharts in the same post??
    Qcharts , great software , very unreliable feed.
    E-sig - best feed in the business.
    E-sig had a special that did not include symbol limits with a price competitive with qcharts.
    I never used QQL but I have read that there feed got lagged during heavy volume days.
    I think E-sig has a 30 day trial ,so why no try it ??

#37     May 31, 2002
  8. I just signed up for the eSignal's so-called comparable offer to QQL. The intraday charting for this "standard" package isn't easy to format. For instance, if you set up for 15 days of intraday data, then it's always 15 days of data, whether you are looking at a 1-minute, 5-minute or an hourly chart. But you can't make much sense out of a 15 day 1-min. data--unless you have, perhaps a 40-inch monitor. You'll have to go to the "Chart Properties" and set it up all over again. So everytime you change your intraday time interval, you'll have to do that over and over again. There is just no drop-down menu for easy switching.

Second, unlike QQL, you just can't resize the indicator display by simply moving the bar. As things stand, if you've got only two indicators like volume and RSI, they already occupy more than half of your chart window.

ESignal keeps saying that you'd be surprised to see how much they have improved. I used them before, and I haven't seen much of an improvement--at least not in the standard version. It's still as cumbersome as ever.

As someone has pointed out, what they really want is to entice QQL and other users to use the so-called "Advanced Charting." Enough with this type of gimmicks. If you want to offer it to customers, just offer it. Auto-formating is a feature that ANY professional charting package SHOULD include: it doesn't make sense to include it only in "advanced charting." There is just nothing "advanced" about it.

ESignal should learn from QQL. They (QQL) don't give you gimmicks and fancy "enhancements." Although they lack some features the more pricey providers have, what they have they DO it very well. And that is what keeps customers. No-nonsense, no-gimmicks. That's the kind of professionalism I want.

Too bad, QQL is ceasing operation. I'll try out Nextrend or others. Will keep you posted.

Stockopt.

#38     May 31, 2002
  9. doher

doher

eSignal Support
    eSignal

Re: QQL and Metastock Pro
    Thanks for responding.

There are lots of choices out there so the decision on which service people choose often comes down to what they value most. We have, by far, the most subscribers of any of our closest competitors so we are the choice for many traders. Our Standard charts are perfect for some people, inadequate for others.

You are going to see other services disappear because it's extremely difficult to operate this sort of business at price points like $20 or $30/mo. Somewhere they have to find ways to keep expenses low ( fewer servers, cut back on support, no redundancy, etc ) You definitely get what you pay for even if it's not always obvious.

You can get our Advanced Charting for as low as $59 and we're happy to let you try it out for 30 days.

In terms of 3p usage, we haven't programmed these packages to enable Metastock pro since QQL didn't support that connection but most other 3p apps ( that don't require a special bit to be turned on like Ensign and Metastock do ) will work just fine. That's an undocumented feature.

Thanks,

Good Afternoon

QQL - to my knowlege does not provide support for Metastock Pro

The point being, is that your basic chart package is inferior to QQL

The only way that I would even consider subscribing @ $34.95 is

1) if you provided the advanced charting (without 100 technical analysis indicators, drawing tools and a formula engine,

ie) the charts -look and operate like QQL charts

or 2) the basic charts package data feed - will power Real Time
    third party chart packages

Otherwise I will use Medved QT - (nice looking charts)
    regards
    doher

eSignal Support wrote on 05-31-02 04:22 PM:
    Hello,

Are you saying that you were able to use QQL with Metastock Pro for RT data? When we set-up the special eSignal/QQl services, we tried to match them as close as we could to keep the rates steady. These rates are 50-70% off our standard rates, BTW.

Key ommission is the lack of Advanced Charting, that's about it. In terms of third party connectivity, I wasn't aware that Metastock worked with QQL directly. If they did, perhaps we can adjust our packages. Please let me know.

Thanks,

#39     May 31, 2002
  10. I haven't tried Qcharts.. I had esignal.. and I had issues with it sometimes.. I am willing to try Qcharts before I'd go back to esignal.. DTNIQ includes options and greeks for 44.50/month.. esignal can't touch it.. too hot.:D

#40     May 31, 2002