Quicken or Money?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by theTaoTrader, Mar 7, 2003.

1. $64k question, I suppose. Anyway, I can't seem to get any more information other than what I posted (MS Money web page still has the 2003 version listed). I can only hope, considering a package like GK is integrated into the product, that MS somehow resolved the short sale import issue.

#11     Jul 15, 2003
  2. GainsKeeper has been intregrated into Microsoft Money..... So basically it means GainsKeeper gone kaput....

#12     Jul 16, 2003
  3. I just learned that, although Money 2004 (the Premium and Small Biz versions) have "integrated" GK, it's really just one of the "complimentary" services included in the package (worth about $50 or so).

Money 2004 (Prem & SB) users can import up to 125 transctions at no cost (of course, every buy, sell, and corporate action is considered a separate transaction).

#13     Jul 22, 2003
  4. cmouth

cmouth

Kaput? GainsKeeper is still independent. They just have made it easier for Money users to use its tools.

#14     Jul 29, 2003
  5. Yep, and actually it's just a hook; Money users still have to sign up for GK (through the Money program). Then, Money users have the ability to integrate their Money portfolio into GK which can (in some cases) easily cause them to exceed their transaction limit without even realizing it. In that instance, they'll be forced to discontinue using GK or will have to pay for extra "buckets". Not a bad deal for GK.

#15     Jul 29, 2003
  6. cmouth

cmouth

I don't think that's correct. You can use Money or GainsKeeper just as you always have - it won't cost you any more. In fact, if you buy Money's Premium software you get GainsKeeper for free. They just made it easier to use both products together. Kind of like how Money and TaxCut work. If you like these products it's a good thing.

#16     Jul 29, 2003
  7. You're correct; they made it easier to use both products together and that is a good thing. Further, Money Premium includes a free one-year subscription to GK.

However, there is a limit of 125 "transactions". The problem is users have the ability to "import" their Money portfolios into GK beginning with any year for which they have transactions. Thus, even users who trade only a few times per month might find that they have reached (or even exceeded) the transaction limit if they decide to import Money portfolios beginning with, say, the year 2001. In that event, they will be forced (almost immediately) to purchase extra buckets if they want to enter new transactions.

#17     Jul 30, 2003
  8. I have heard very good things about "Gainskeeper" and one of our traders uses it for keeping track of his trading activity, he said it has saved him literally hundreds of hours of bookeeping and says it is easy to ues also....just my .02 worth.

rttrader -

#18     Jul 30, 2003
  9. cmouth

cmouth

Optrader, yeah, I guess you could be right if you tried to import your entire Money history into GainsKeeper. While that would be nice from an archiving perspective, if you're concerned about paying for all those trades why import them all? Just import the trades for the current tax year.

#19     Jul 30, 2003

10. That's a good idea, but I probably wasn't being clear. My point was that it's real easy to screw up when signing up for GK through Money. The first option users are presented with during the process is as follows:

"I want to import Microsoft Money Portfolio starting with the [drop down box] tax year."

I didn't bite on that one but I can see where others might without realizing that every buy, every sell, and every corporate action (such as a dividend reinvestment) is considered a separate transaction. I have Money data dating back to 1999 and would have probably wound up importing hundreds of transactions. I imagine some Money users have data dating back even further.

#20     Jul 30, 2003