Quick rookie question

Discussion in 'Options' started by Hedge22, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Hedge22

Hedge22

I was checking out the QQQQ puts, and i see that there are two symbols(qqqim.x and uqqim.x) one is trading a lot cheaper than the other, can someone tell me what the difference is, thanks. I know some companies will have two symbols if there has been a merger or something, is this what happened?

2. Were you looking at January expiration? Could be LEAPS v. regular JAN expiration series. I did not check the quotes you provided so this is a quick response...

3. Hedge22

Hedge22

I was checking out the Sep calls on Yahoo finance, but when i checked on Schwab, they only had the qqqim.x not the uqqim.x ones, so i just assume those are the ones that i should be looking and also since they have way higher volume.

4. MTE

MTE

The cheaper ones (QQQ...) are the regular Sep options, the more expensive and less liquid ones (UQQ...) are the new end of the Quarter options, which expire end of the month rather than on the 3rd Friday. So they got 14 more days to expiry.

5. THANKS! MTE ....light bulb just went off. I hadn't realised that the end of quarter spx options actually expired the last day.....sooo if I wanted to "try" out a put diagonal I could usen them with the Oct reg spx....right?

hummmm fly in ointment...TOS doesn't appear to offer them:confused:

6. MTE

MTE

Richard,

You are looking at the wrong symbols. End of the quarter ones are only available on ETFs - SPY, QQQQ and IWM. Indices don't have them.

7. ohhhh....I thought the CBOE announded a new end of quarter on SPX...thx for clearing that up:D