Queston about IB TWS

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by huby, May 17, 2001.

1. maybe someone can clear something up for me. i have read messages that talk about desktop version and brower version. i did not realize there were two versions (are there?). i opened my account with IB 4 months ago by applying on-line. downloaded the java applet. sent money. started trading. i also downloaded ie5.5. what else is there to use? is there another version or another way of loading the trading platform that i am not using or aware of?

on-on

#11     May 18, 2001
  2. def

def Sponsor

BrianL,
    A bulletin was sent out regarding INCA. You can also check for bulletins on the web site under the system status link. The bulletin was as follows:
    ---
    09:43:42 To INSTINET users

We are having difficulty establishing a connection with Instinet. Our technical people are working with instinet to resolve this. It does not appear that we will be able to connect today.
    ---

Greatballs,
    You can access the TWS via logging in via your browser or downloading it to your hard disk. It is the same software as long as you keep your desktop version up to date. You can download or upgrade from this link:
    http://www.interactivebrokers.com/download/pre_download2.html

#12     May 18, 2001
  3. Def,

I have a question re IB's java based TWS. I cannot seem to access the demo at work, but have no problem at home, so I am thinking that there is an issue with my company's firewall. I also am unable to connect with Schwab's Street Smart Pro at the office, but can at home.

This makes it tough, since I make my trades from work. Because of that issue, I may end up at Datek for my swingtrading (the commissions at Schwab are pricy).

Does it make sense that this might be a firewall problem?

Kevin

#13     May 18, 2001
  4. That would be my guess. I can't use IB at work either but I can use the Java based quotes from Island.

#14     May 18, 2001
  5. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

It is the firewall, no doubt.
    You would need to ask your network administrator to open a route to IB server. The information is easy to get from IB. It might be more difficult to explain your boss why you need that :)

Some proxies may have a 'client' program you run on your PC. Then the connection is transparent and IB and others would work.
    Ask your administrator if they have a proxy client available for you. At least in that case you have less explaining to do :) since you do not have to specify the route you need.

vpiNeo

#15     May 19, 2001
  6. mgregor

mgregor

Or in the worst case, you could just do a regular dial up connection from work. If you're only following several stocks, the connection speed shouldn't be an issue.

#16     May 19, 2001
  7. Thanks for the ideas. The dial up option is my best option, as I would prefer to avoid the other "boss related" issues. :D

The fireall even prevents me from accessing Schwab's home page, but I can get to it via http://www.myschwab.com, then logging in from there. It's an Excite site. I can be creative when i need to trade. :p

Thanks again.

Kevin

#17     May 19, 2001
  8. def

def Sponsor

#18     May 19, 2001
  9. BrianL

BrianL

Def, Thanks for your replies. I realize the bulletins are posted and have checked them. I just thought INCA dissapearing for three days and counting as a execution route is a bit odd! Take Care, Brian

#19     May 20, 2001
  10. I downloaded TWS 4.0 installed-version. I can't resize it.
    IB Chat Help suggested to deinstall Java Plug In and reinstall it. Too much trouble, I don't have any problem resizing the browser- based version. IB website suggests downloading Plug In only if you can't launch TWS. I have Java Plug In and although I was not able to launch the Installed Version during the weekend, it worked today. I just can't resize it. What may be the problem?

Thank you in advance

#20     Jun 18, 2001