Questions regarding RAM upgrade for my T3400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmiles301, Oct 11, 2012.

1. What is SIW?

Checking the Corsair site now..

Windows update history showed almost all successful updates, outside of one or two that failed a few months ago..

And the 5300's were the original ones installed. I added the 6400's thereafter.

#11     Oct 11, 2012
  2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Then it is not the Window updates causing your issues.

#12     Oct 11, 2012
  3. SIW = System Information Windows... a freeware system information utility. Recently, however, SIW has adopted the model "you get the software for free, but we load about a half-dozen other programs/toolbars/trackers onto your computer". (Sadly, lots of other freeware now do this. Some of them give you the chance to opt out of installing one or all of the other programs, but some simply notify and don't give you the choice.) They say you can uninstall the unwanted ones from the Add/Remove software function of your OS, but that usually leads to leaving remnants behind. I'd rather not install those things to begin with.

#13     Oct 11, 2012
  4. For some reason this was the only option that came up on the Corsair site when I searched for the T3400...

http://www.corsair.com/us/cm2x1024-6400.html

And this is what they had stated regarding the workstation if that helps/makes a difference in anyway...

Maximum Memory » 8192 MB
    Expansion Slots » 4
    CPU Information » Intel Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Quad
    Other Details » 800/1066/1333MHz FSB, Intel X38 Express Chipset.

#14     Oct 11, 2012
  5. After BIOS version A8, the T3400 supports 16GB of RAM, so I've read... I've never used more than 4GB.

I wouldn't go for the memory which states its "1.9V"... computer might take that, might not.

I pulled a stick from one of mine... this is it.

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5C

This has 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8V.

We know this RAM works... also any other brand/model of DDR2 with 6-6-6-18 @ 1.8V.

#15     Oct 12, 2012
  6. Obviously, you don't use RAM with different timings/voltages together. That should be the same on all sticks.

#16     Oct 12, 2012
  7. Right click on your "my computer" (or in W7 it's just "computer") and go to properties.

Under the system section it should say Installed Memory (RAM): xGB

Does it show something like 4.0gb (6GB installed) or does it just show one single memory amount?

It's bad practice to use different memory speeds in the same machine but usually it either works or doesn't work. If it works it'll just clock down the faster memory to the least common denominator.

What CPU is in the machine?

DDR2 for a PC (non ECC or Buffered) is dirt cheap. I'd just go out to newegg or ebay and buy matching RAM for the machine. All same size and speed.

#17     Oct 12, 2012
  8. It says 6GB installed memory and that's it...

I'm running a quad 2.4 (Q6600).

Running Esignal and a few other programs right now and I'm monitoring the task manager and I haven't seen my memory get higher than the 3.3GB zone or so, so maybe I don't need to really do anything.

It hasn't froze up on me again so far today at least (and it really wasn't doing that at all before), so I'm not sure what the issue is/was.

Would like to get more RAM if it makes sense, but would I even be accomplishing anything if I upgrade (given that my task manager readings don't seem to be too high)?

I don't recall what RAM I installed a few years back, but my computer has never had problems running on the two different speeds it seems. If it's potentially harming my system in some way, though, I would still like to make a change.

Thanks for the help.

#18     Oct 12, 2012
  9. If your computer is running, nothing is being harmed. However the computer will adjust to run at the slowest RAM in the system... so, your 6400 is running at 5300 speed.

#19     Oct 12, 2012
  10. Just an update...

My computer has not been freezing up or restarting lately, but I am noticing that my memory being used is getting up to the 4.3-4.6 GB range (out of 6GB total), so would adding more make sense or would I not be able to notice a difference? I guess I'm not sure how much memory I should have "left over" in order to feel comfortable with my computer's performance.

Also, I noticed that these are the sticks that I added to my system a few years back...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

If upgrading is needed, should I just match those exact sticks (to take my total system up to 8GB) or would it be ok to buy the same brand but get a 2 x 4GB kit to take my total system up to 12GB?

#20     Oct 17, 2012