questions on Hang Seng future (HSI)

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by enlightedtrader, May 9, 2007.

1. lhclin

lhclin TickQuest

IB simulator has problem with HSI market orders. The fill can be way off (try place market order for 10 HSI you will see what I mean). This is probably what cause your stop order fill to be so much off.

Louis

#11     May 17, 2007
  2. GoodGame

GoodGame

Trading hours for MHI and HSI are listed as 1430 to 1615 on IB... why is the morning trading session not listed? Does it mean we cannot trade on IB for the morning session?

#12     May 25, 2007
  3. You can also trade the morning session.

#13     May 26, 2007
  4. GoodGame

GoodGame

thanks kiwi.

Anybody using IB to trade MHI and HSI? What commission plans (unbundled vs bundled) are you on? It seems to me that unbundled is cheaper right from the start even when you are trading low volumes. Anybody share the same idea?

#14     May 26, 2007
  5. def

def Sponsor

I'll further go into the SIMULATOR issue. The real time order book depth that is disseminated from the HKFE is 5 deep. If the size of the book showing is less than 10 contracts the simulator isn't going to be able to provide the additional liquidity which is normally "hidden" in the HSI market. We could come up with some logic to counteract this but then again this is JUST A SIMULATOR.

My guess is that most aren't going to start trading throwing around 10 lot market orders (HKD 500 per tick) unless they fully understand the HK market. In any event given the liquidity and potential volatility of the HSI market, I would suggest using stop limit orders.

#15     May 26, 2007
  6. I there, I saw some posts on questions regarding trading HSi and MHI. Hope i can provide some info here.

I am trading MHI live. Here is the best arrangement I found so far:

(1) Open a live a/c with Dai Tong Securities HK.
    Foreign brokers like IB dont really work well when comes to real life trading. HK brokers are better in getting good fill, and functionable stop loss.

(2) Use SPSystem R8.3 to trade. Many HK brokers have the option to use this platform for trading MHI. Use it. its the most fair platform as yet. U will not get ridiculous pricing fill.

(3) Stop Loss are not guaranteed. This is the known fact in HK. No broker will honour ur SL 100%. they even have a disclaimer which say so. U just have to call to ask them, and they will tell u to use it or leave it. Basically ask u to f*** off. No HK broker has good service attitude.

(4) Unlike NQ and ES, trading HSI is never fair. NEVER. U r at the mercy of broker. If u dont watch ur screen, they will choose to skip your order if its in ur favour, and will definitely fill it if its not in your favour.

Anyway, good luck you guys. I'm a trader from malaysia, and I trade NQ and ES too.

#16     Jul 14, 2011
  7. def

def Sponsor

You are wrong o so many levels below it isn't worth discussing all. The markets in HK are electronic. The HKFE does not support stops.

#17     Jul 15, 2011
  8. in ref to trader from malaysia post....

he is telling the truth as the truth is known both in asia and in the west.... differently....

if someone from ib can not accept it, that is tough for you guys working for ib around the globe....

for people in hkg, you are only known as GWAI-LOW.... if you really want to know the meaning.... just go to any china town.... and ask a cantonese speaking chinese....

in hkg you can show up in person at their offices and curse at them for ----ing up your order and stop....

if you've never worked or traded in hkg, you'll never guess what the brokerage attitudes are like.... their best showing for taking responsibility is.... smiling at you and saying i am sorry.... can't help it.... next time, i'll be pay more attention....

to traders and brokerage houses from western hemisphere.... the entire trading culture in hkg is way way backward, unaccountable and irresponsible at best....

why does someone who has every trading convenience and possibly the best legal protection ever.... wishes to attempt to trade hkg markets.... where you are subject to practical whimsicality of local mostly selfish brokers et al....

pls do not get me wrong alright? i am just talking about trading and brokerage houses on the biz front ok?

hkg is a beautiful place, it has practically everything a human could ask and wish for.... at a much reduced price (a better choice would be bangkok);.... and the view from my window at the peak, looking down at the harbor and all.... is just spectacular both day and night.... someone already said that i have multiple personalities loving too many loveables, places, careers and all others all at the same time.... as well....

:cool:

#18     Jul 15, 2011
  9. mcdull

mcdull

Hi def,

The HSI simulator problem is easily reproducible by placing two market orders in a very short time. My observation is that:

If there is only 1 contract in the best bid, and I place 1 MKT sell order. After the MKT order is filled, the whole bid order book occasionally "disappears" and only some random bid orders are left. If I place one more MKT sell order, it is filled with the random best bid price. Same for the MKT buy orders.

It only happens to simulator, but very normal in live trading.

Hope this is enough information for your guys to reproduce the problem.

#19     Jul 15, 2011
  10. mcdull

mcdull

Just want to report another issue for HSI. I filed that issue around 2 years ago but the problem is still not fixed.

I have written a program using IB API to log the snapshot data (reqMktData). If I take a look on the HSI snapshot data, sometimes, there are a lot of strange volume spikes (like a few hundreds to 2000 contracts) but they are not found in other HSI data sources. It normally happens when the second of the time is either 00 or 30. e.g. 9:51:30, 10:01:00, 10:03:30...

I use the same program to log FDAX, ES and YM but I don't observe the same problem.

Hope you can help.

#20     Jul 15, 2011