Questions: managing other people's money?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Bhodie, Oct 30, 2002.

1. I did this a few years ago. I opened an LP, and everyone who invested got a percentage in the LP. I only allowed contributions/withdrawals monthly, so if someone wanted in or out, it's easier to adjust everyone's % monthly, rather then in different time periods. I had a 1% mgmt fee, and 20% of profits. This is a basic Hedge fund profit sharing arrangement. At the end of the year I had a tax accountant issue K-1's to each of the partners.

#11     Nov 1, 2002
  2. def

def Sponsor

I will agree that there would only be a handful of others but soros is not the only one.

#12     Nov 3, 2002

3. Bacon, Jones, Kovner, Cohen, Druckenmiller, Robertson, Kingdon, Trout, Henry, Kessler, Ainslie.....

#13     Nov 3, 2002
  4. Leviathan

Leviathan

def,

I asked IB about using this account for a few friends and was told that IB required RIA status even if you are trading for 4 or less people. Do you expect IB to change this requirement?

Thanks.

#14     Nov 3, 2002
  5. Vishnu

Vishnu

2% management fee, 20% incentive fee is the standard. In Buffett's first hedge fund, started in the 50s, he charged 25% incentive fee, no managaement fee.

if you go to http://iasg.pertrac2000.com/mainframe.asp you can see what about a hundred different funds charge. It varies a lot. The most I've heard about is SAC Capital, run by Steve Cohen. They manage $5B, about $1B of which is Cohen's. He charges a 50% incentive fee. He's having his worst year ever this year: only up about 30%.

#15     Nov 3, 2002
  6. cpo

cpo Guest

I think these are fair rates, provided that the incentive fee is applicable only to net new profits, i.e., losses are taken into account during the fiscal period to assess the net result. If the net result is negative then it's carried forward to the next fiscal period.

In the end, it will be all about positive results, or nothing else to both partners.

cpo

#16     Nov 3, 2002
  7. nitro

nitro

Holy shit! 50% !!!!!?????!!!!!

Those people must think this guy is God.

nitro

#17     Nov 3, 2002
  8. Vishnu

Vishnu

that's why he now has $1B of his own money in the fund. Where do you think he got that money?

#18     Nov 3, 2002
  9. Who cares, how much he charges, if you deduct all fees, he's in the top 5% of performance in the world, and that's after a 50% haircut. I wouldn't complain if I were in his fund. Would you? As per Buffett, while he did charge 25%, he didn't charge anything for the first 6%. So you were guaranteed the risk free rate of return (10 yr treasury-inflation) for free. If you then calculate it out, since the first bit is free, it isn't until you get up around 50% return that he even makes 20%.

#19     Nov 3, 2002
  10. nitro

nitro

LOL!

Vishnu, I went to the site and found the Hedge Fund that I used to work for there!! Thanks for that link - very nice.

BTW, what is Cohens funds name?

nitro

#20     Nov 3, 2002