Questions for new system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader_Rabbitt, Jul 20, 2007.

1. I'm plannning on getting a new desktop system shortly. I had been thinking of the Dell XPS 410 / Dimension 9200. I'm wondering if the new Dell Vostro might make more sense.

They can all be configured with an E6600 processor and the same items (hard disk, RAM, etc) and the pricing ends up about the same for all three when configured on the web site. I talked to Dell recently and wanted to know if I could substitute the Quadro NVS 285 video card which they supply for the Precision line instead of the Geforce card on the selection list (so I'm not paying for 2 cards to end up using the Quadro). That appears to be no. They say that the systems can support dual monitors with one of the video cards on their selection list.

Has anyone looked at the Vostro and would this be equivalent to the Dimension/XPS? It looks like the Dimension line may be going away as they are using the Inspiron brand for the new low end consumer desktops and the Vostro for small business desktops and notebooks.

Does a dual monitor configuration work OK with the Geforce cards they supply?

If I bought a Quadro NVS 285 could I use three monitors using the Quadro for 2 new flat panels and the geforce for my current CRT? Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of to try this?

An Intel price cut is apparently scheduled for July 22 and Dell is making some announcement next week so I'm waiting to see what happens before placing any orders. Anyone know if new product announcements are coming?

Thanks in advance for your advice
    :)

2. TOM134

TOM134

3. Yes there are new Intel CPUs just released. You would be better off with the new E6750 (2.66 Ghz, 1333 FSB) or E6850 (3 Ghz, 1333 FSB) than the E6600 (2.4 Ghz, 1066 FSB) for similar price. The existing Q6600 quad core is also being reduced to a very attractive price.

You should be able to mix most NVidia cards in a multihead setup. To be certain, you could post the question about the NVS 285 and whatever card Dell is supplying on the NVidia support forum. You are probably likely to get a better informed answer there than anywhere else. Alternatively just buy some NVS cards off eBay - you can get them cheaply.