Questions for experienced daytraders

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by CheckM8t, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Then i shall be the Black Swan.

Theres a chance of 50% up, 50% down, and 50% stays sideways. Its hard for a coin is stay upright though. Perhaps after 10 billion throws ?

#11     Apr 3, 2011
  2. Way to call yourself out there

#12     Apr 3, 2011
  3. tubbs

tubbs

Depends on your strategy, but if daytrading I would suggest scaling in is not appropriate.

I do multiples of 2 contracts. Opening a trade with both, and closing 1 at a set profit, the other at a momentum change.

Looking at past profitability it can sometimes be the set target that saves me from losses on the day, but in wide run away days obviously the momentum profit gives very high returns, but happen less often.

I could probably live without the set profit target, but I makes me feel better.

#13     Apr 4, 2011
  4. it is very simple

before you place any trade you should put the odds in your favor as much as possible

the amount of shares you will trade will depend on how good the odds are at the time you decide to place the trade. reduce share size if odds of winning are low and increase share size if odds of winning are high

of course you must now know how to read and interpret the odds for if you get it wrong you will find yourself doing the opposite to what you should be doing, which is what most do

you must also be adequately funded for if you decide to trade 10K shares of tier 1 stock then you might need in the region of $175K in your daytrading account, depending on stock $price

that is also $100 per tick on the screen and the stock can easily move 10+ ticks in a very short time so you better know what to do if you see thousands of dollars disappearing in front of your eyes

the odds can also change at any time

#14     May 25, 2011
  5. I think a lot of it depends on what kind of trade you are doing and how volatile the stock is. For example, if you are buying in the direction of the main trend right near a key level on the chart (or key price an identified buyer is holding), then it can often make sense to enter your full position at once. On the other hand, if you are trying to catch a short-term top or bottom reversal play going against the current trend in a volatile stock, it usually makes sense to scale into your position gradually.

In general, if you are entering a full position all at once it can often be good to use a pretty tight stop. If you are gradually scaling into a position, you don't need a tight stop from your initial entry (so scaling in can increase your win rate).

The key to scaling in is to make sure that if you add to losing trades, you must also add just as aggressively (if not more) to winning trades. You don't want to get stuck in a situation where your losing trades are for more size than your winning trades.

#15     May 28, 2011
  6. What he said.

Also .. if you have a HUGE edge, that happens to skew the odds 51/49 in your favour .. but then you scale your trades by paying another transaction cost, and another, and another .. you will be diluting your edge.

Commissions hurt your edge.

Paying the spread hurts your edge.

But most strategies discussed here have no edge anyway.

So you're at 50/50 minus costs...

Do you feel lucky?

#16     May 28, 2011
  7. Twice the profit target reduces hit rate to zero sum result.Go do some statistical analysis on historic data.

It is all about probabilities.

#17     May 28, 2011
  8. ? , who are all these geniuses on 5 tick stops making a killing?

#18     May 28, 2011
  9. Fools, liars and failed traders selling advice.

#19     May 28, 2011
  10. Ideally, you would have backtested the alternative approaches. Failing, that, i suspect that what nodoji suggested will be true over time, namely that it doesn't matter all that much.

Personally, I think payramiding is hard for daytraders, simply because you are adding after price has gone your way and you probably don't have a lot left in the move. I would do it only if I strongly suspected a big trend day was in the offing. Actually, you will do far better if you limit your trading only to big trend days.

Adding to losing trades is not a bad technique for day trading, providing you have iron discipline. You have to recognize that you are reinforcing a bad habit, but it allows you to turn a lot of losers into b/es. It can also destroy you if you let them get away from you.

#20     May 28, 2011