Questions for creationists

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Malestrom, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Gordon is a perfect example of what is wrong with atheism today. Gordon represents the subset of people who choose to wear atheism as if it were some sort of neo-intellectual ontological fashion statement -- he wears it with utmost excitement as he struts down a poorly constructed philosophical catwalk that is made up solely of ignorance and false assumptions.

Atheism in itself is fine, but Gordon indoctrinates others with atheism with as much passion and vigor as born again fundamentalist Christians. Now if Gordon just stayed in his room and practiced atheism by himself, it would be absolutely wonderful. In fact, there is nothing wrong with atheism in my mind -- if that is what you wish to believe. If you are mistaken, that is between you and god.

Furthermore, science and religion aren't mutually exclusive at all. You can have a very strong science background and perform scientific tasks perfectly within the parameters of the scientific method and yet still have a belief in god as a creator of all things.

If you can't understand how Gordon, then perhaps you should stop debating religion. You obviously don't have a firm grasp on many scientific principles, let alone any grasp at all of what it means to be a Jew, Christian, Bhuddist, Muslim, etc.

#11     Feb 23, 2004
  2. Again, you're a perfect example of someone who sits idle in class, never questioning anything which you are taught. Evolution <b>theory</b> is a theory -- I have never heard it referred to as an absolute fact. You're talking about the <b>Theory of Evolution</b>. The book has <b>theory</b> in front of evolution because it is a clue for you to understand that it is not an absolute fact.

You are also incorrect in assuming that the verification of evolution as fact precludes the existence of a god. Again, this is how your mind is perceiving things. If you think you are incapable of misperception, then not only would I rethink religion, but I'd stop trading immediately.

The first step in enlightenment is realizing that you know nothing. Once you can accept this, then you can start to humble yourself by thinking for yourself instead of having theories and facts spoon fed to you by the school system. Besides, most of it is ending up on your bib.

#12     Feb 23, 2004
  3. There is a ton of evidence that indicates primates share a common ancestry, and that all species do.

If the evolutionists don't make a compelling argument to you, that's fine.

Theism and evolution are not incompatible. They have litttle to do with each other.

It's the God squad that is forcing the issue. You guys have a pre-Scopes mentality.

#13     Feb 23, 2004
  4. cdbern

cdbern

1. I'm not necessarily of that opinion but a possible answer might be that they fear their own ignorance on the subject and its safer to stay with what they know. Even in the face of ridicule.
    Another possibility is that those who believe in God also for the most part believe in Satan. Knowing the Bible as they do and believing that Satan takes up residence in the hearts of unbelievers, Christians would view ToE as possibly the work of Satan to draw man away from God.

2. If accepting ToE destroys your faith, that faith was weak to begin with. There are too many unanswered questions to rule anything out.

"I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith"

While the DNA of apes is very close to that of man, is it close enough? That might be something that separates the faithful from the unfaithful; believers from unbelievers. Margarine is after all just 1 molecule away from plastic, but that 1 molecule makes all the difference in the world.

#14     Feb 23, 2004
  5. traderob

traderob

#15     Feb 24, 2004
  6. Theists need to read their own bible.

Genesis: God created the world in 6 days, with man created FROM DIRT on the 6th day. Peroid. That leaves absolutely no wiggle room for evolution, or any other reasonable explaination.

#16     Feb 24, 2004
  7. OH YES. SLAMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

deeeeeestroyed!!!!!

game overrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

stick a fork in 'em, they're done!!!!!! :D

#17     Feb 24, 2004
  8. any logical mind can recognize that evolution is real...even theists if they are sane. so they want to somehow accept evolution, but it conflicts with their bs religion. the easiest thing to do is just say that you accept both and never really explain how that is possible.

once you have been contaminated by religion it is probably extremely hard to rid yourself of it. in the face of science, you will bend over backwards to somehow retain your religious beliefs since it was most likely pounded into your head since age 1. think about it, being conditioned to believe something your entire life must surely be difficult to overcome. luckily, i am here to help you!! :p

#18     Feb 24, 2004
  9. And what if there is 2 "perpectives" of time like there can be many perspectives in space so that time can be very short from one perspective (God's time perspective) and very long from the other one (evolution's time) :D

#19     Feb 24, 2004
  10. although i don't like to say i KNOW there is no god, there really just is not!! obviously i don't know, but just think about it. there is NO FREAKING WAY a being just APPEARED and consciously decided to create the universe! NO WAY!!!!! i don't know what the true explanation is, but it's not that!

i would like to make one distinction, though. i am extremely open to the idea that our universe could be a "fish tank" to higher beings--or that we are just a part of something larger. however, even if this is the case, our "gods" would not really be gods--just as we are not true gods to fish in our fish tanks.

if you put a filter in a fish tank, in a limited way, a fish may be like, "what the hell is that and how did it get there?" well we look at our universe and say, "what the hell is all this and how did it get here?" who would say we are no doubt the highest level of beings?! i'm not saying there are higher beings, but i am definitely open to it.

wouldn't it be something if there are higher beings and they're like 1000000000000000000x larger than us. think of a worm living underground. the small area of dirt where it will live is everything to it. however, it has no clue it is part of something much larger. think of a fish in an ocean. to a fish, the ocean is everything, but really, there is more beyond the water--and even more beyond the planet itself. what if our existence is the same thing on a larger scale? basically, i'm saying that i lean towards the idea that there are more dimensions than we're aware of.

#20     Feb 24, 2004