Questions about TradeStation, EasyLanguage, backtesting...

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by FulltimeTrainee, May 15, 2006.

1. I'm considering to switch from IB to TradeStation, but I want to make sure about the following first.

Is there any other program comparable to EasyLanguage ?

Can EasyLanguage be used without TradeStation, like if I have the intraday data on an Excel Sheet, would I be able to do backtesting on it with EasyLanguage ?

Are EasyLanguage and the historical data free once you become a client of TradeStation ?

My fund is somewhere around 7000$, it might be more by the time I decide to subscript to TradeStation's brokerage service, I think I meet the requirement for a daytrading Future account. The only thing I still hesitate about is the fees. It requires me to do 10 roundtrips a month. That wouldn't be a problem as I'm a daytrader, but as I have lost money quickly last couple months, I decide to move on to developping some consistent strategies, I want to take the time to test my strategies. Also, on IB, CME's data are free, but with TradeStation, it would be like 50$/month. However, so far, Tradestation seems to have the best feature around for backtesting.

Please give me some advices.

Thank you!
    Thank you!

2. I am not so sure TS backtesting capability is gonna help but their performance report of your trade history is good. You can't beat IB's almost free real-time data and you can't beat TS's almost free historical data. It's a coin toss to me but if you want to save a little more money and don't care about backtest, then IB is definitely cheaper.

4. Multicharts can handle this task at $49 per month or for a mere $399 per lifetime. See some other thread about MC.

5. If you are trying to figure out what you are doing, make sure you just put the minimum into your account so you can't a lot on a bad day and take break if you lose certain amount for the week/month. Capital is most important because it buys time until you become more consistent.