Questions about Tithing

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Math_Wiz, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Vhen, the problem I have with your historical perspective is that you do not use a single quote from the very source you are trying to disclaim. If you say something is not biblical, then show me where you can back that up in the bible, or where it is left out. The book of Malachi explicitly addresses tithing in chapter 3 and was written some time around 433 B.C., which supersedes your reference given to the Catholic Bishops in 567AD.

The more important thing to understand is the purpose of tithing. We tithe simply because God tells us to. Obedience is the proof we love God and trust Him. It is not a discipline of fear as one would think, but a reverent fear that reciprocates God's favor on our lives.

#31     Jul 13, 2006
  2. i ask once again. show me the exact verses that say you must give 10% of your money to a church. if you cant cite a verse in the bible that commands you to give 10% of your money to a church it isnt biblical.

#32     Jul 13, 2006

3. Malachi 3:10.

Definition of tithe:

A tithe (from Old English teogotha "tenth") is a one-tenth part of something, paid as a voluntary contribution or as a tax or levy, usually to support a Jewish or Christian religious organization. Today, tithes (or tithing) are normally voluntary and paid in cash, checks, or stocks, whereas historically tithes could be paid in kind, such as agricultural products.

Storehouse is used instead of the word church. Also, it does not say "give" it says "bring". There is a big difference.

#33     Jul 13, 2006
  4. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

There you go again with "unbiblical."

Let me give you an example of something which is unbiblical, but is in fact extra-biblical.

Ready? Catholic veneration of saints.

No Explicit or supportable implicit verses towards that notion. You'd have to get really creative to back up the notion that it's permissible. While at the same time avoiding to trap of divination.

Another one: "God helps those who helps themselves." No where to be found in the bible. So that makes it unbiblical.

So then, is tithing unbiblical? No. Is it applicable under the new testament? Really depends on your theological disposition. I say, it doesn't apply and can support my position. Covenant theologians will say it does. Well naturally, because they believe the church is the spiritual replaement of Israel. So, they would follow any ordinance which has a promise attached to it. As they believe all the promises of Isreal now apply to the church.

#34     Jul 13, 2006
  5. Malachi 3:10 does not say you must give 10% of your income to a church. you are doing the same thing preachers do today. you are inserting your opinion or what other men have convinced you to believe as a biblical command.
    here is a little bible study for you. answer these questions.

1. what did abraham tithe?
    2. what form does the bible command the tithes be in?(hint its not money)
    3.exactly who was to recieve the tithes and why?

#35     Jul 13, 2006
  6. if preachers twist the words of the bible to convince you of something it does not make it biblical.
    show me the verse that says you must give 10% of your income to any church.

#36     Jul 13, 2006
  7. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Re-read the post(s) I made in reply to you. I never said that tithing is a new testament ordinace. So I have no burden of proof to say it is.

My issue with you is that you apparently have ZERO idea of what "unbiblical" means.

Unbiblical is something not contained in or in accordance with the bible.

Tithing, is contained in and in accordance with the bible. The issue is whether or not it is applicable to New testament saints as it was to Old testament Hebrews. Malachi is an old testament book. Nowhere in the new testament can the ordinance of tithing be found. But then again, no where in the NT does it explicitly say it doesn't apply. Only implicitly.

Why don't you get this? I believe you might but are too prideful to admit that you used a wrong terminology.

#37     Jul 13, 2006
  8. i dont have time to nitpick words. i ment tithing 10%of your income as understood and practiced by christians today is not biblical.

#38     Jul 13, 2006

9. You know, Vhehn, you remind me of somebody trying to beat their head against a rock. Enough proof has been given in this thread to prove tithing is biblical. The real question here is weather or not you accept it. If you don't, then that's your choice; but, regardless of how you interpret it or understand it, nothing you do nor say will negate God's Word.

#39     Jul 13, 2006
  10. fhl

fhl

Someone asked for new testament passages on tithing.

Here's one. Mathew 23, verse 23.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. (ed note, it says not to leave the "tithing" undone.)

Another: Hebrews 7, verses 1 to 10.
    This passage explains how Abraham paid tithes to Melchizedek, who is a type of Christ, before the law. The Levitical priesthood had not been enacted yet, so the tithe was not meant solely for that purpose. Also, I don't have a passage to site, but I believe that priests in the old covenant were required to tithe to the higher priests. Jesus is our high priest, on the order of Melchizedek.

#40     Jul 13, 2006