Questions about Tithing

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Math_Wiz, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Does the above apply to politicians?

#21     Jul 12, 2006
  2. dont mean to sound harsh, but it will be a cold day in hell before some charity gets a dime from me, reason being that some dickhead CEO is sitting there using my money to bang a hooker.

That being said you wanna make a difference go to RWANDA and start handing out "U.S." hundred dollar bills. that should make a difference, they can now order more guns to continue offing themselves in the millions....but look at the bright side you will be guaranteed a spot right next to J.C. himself. Ask him when he has booked his next show, its been years since i spoke to him last.

-Dan

#22     Jul 13, 2006
  3. Maybe you should try talking to Him now; regardless of your circumstances, He still loves you.

#23     Jul 13, 2006
  4. i will take what bill gates and warren buffet are doing over all of the preachers in the united states. if your god cant tell who is doing more for the poor people he isnt a very smart god.

tithing is not even biblical. it just something the early churches dreamed up to line their pockets.
    http://www.serve.com/thibodep/cr/tithing.htm
    http://aibi.gospelcom.net/ebooks/Tithing.htm

#24     Jul 13, 2006
  5. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

Of course tithing is biblical. The only question is does it apply to new testament saints or just Old testament Hebrews. For a fact, it applied to Old testament hebrews.

#25     Jul 13, 2006
  6. What version of the bible did you use to come to that conclusion?

#26     Jul 13, 2006
  7. if you read what i posted you just might figure it out.

http://www.gotosimpletruth.com/tithe.htm

History of Tithing
    Most people who practice tithing today are unaware of the actual history of how the collection of tithes became a church practice. Nearly every pulpit today telling people to tithe has their roots in Pagan Catholicism. Yes tithing and the collection of tithes were made to be a LAW by the Catholics.

Tithing was NEVER practiced in all of church history until it was instituted by a group of Catholic Bishops at an assembly in Tours France in 567AD. After that the people still refused to tithe or tithed reluctantly. So later in 585AD, at the Council of Macon they issued several "new laws." Several laws for violating the Sunday rest and then they nailed the people with a demand insisting on the obligation of the people to pay tithes. If someone did not pay their tithes, they were considered as someone who was "Robbing God." Sound familiar?

You must realize that up to that point, tithing had NEVER been a practice by anyone. Not even the reprobate Catholic INSTITUTION collected tithes before these dates. There were no other churches.

http://www.thegraceproject.com/Articles/The Tithing Controversy- No laughing Matter.htm
    There is only one reference to tithing in the entire New Covenant writings

The rationale for the tithing argument goes something like this:
    1. Abraham is the father of all who believe;
    2. Abraham paid tithes;
    3. Abraham paid the tithe before the law was introduced;
    4. Tithing is pre-law and therefore, is still applicable.

In response, we make the following observations:

1. If Abraham provides the paradigm for tithing, then we may also assume that the tithe is a one-off and is paid from the spoils of war;

2. If the pre-law argument validates tithing, why do the same people not argue with equal alacrity that circumcision is a New Covenant requirement.?

The initial question that I want to explore concerns our motivation for "giving." The following may simply be a commentary on my heart and not representative of the Christian community and I trust that you will not find me unduly cynical. However, my experience is that most Christians give for one of two reasons and neither is very honourable:

1. Insurance : God will get me if I don't
    2. Investment : God will bless me if I do

Therefore, we say that tithing for many a Christian, whether consciously or unconsciously, serves as their divine fire insurance premiums.

Perhaps now I am parodying the point but it seems to me at least that what we are doing in the main is on the one hand, we are paying God protection money to leave us alone and on the other hand, we are investing into the Kingdom with a view to maximizing our returns. We are seeking to protect and/or increase our asset base. What we are not doing is GIVING without any expectation of reward other than the reward of giving.

We give for one of two reasons - God will get me if don't and He will bless me if I do

http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=161

#27     Jul 13, 2006
  8. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

You said, "Tithing is not even biblical."

I read your links and was puzzled at why you made that statement. Thought perhaps you didn't read your links but simply copied the first two search results from google using search terms, "I never read the bible but want to chime in anyway."

:D

#28     Jul 13, 2006
  9. the statement stands. tithing as practiced today is not biblical. show me the verses that say you should give 10% of your income.

#29     Jul 13, 2006
  10. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

No, your statement is incorrect. Tithing is in fact biblical. That's the issue. It's one thing to clairfy and say, "oh right, what I meant was it's not a NT practice." It's another to go on and say that this statement stands:

"Tithing is unbiblical."

The question is whether or not it is applicable under the new testament. The bible is comprised to two testaments. To say that tithing is not biblical means that there is no support for it whatsoever. As I said in an earlier post, for a fact, it was commanded, required and praticed by the Hebrews. As for the new testament, there is no indication at all that it is still in force. Yet there is no explicit indication that it isn't. Only implicit NT references and ideals exist that call the practice into question.

I'll list a few.

1. There is no priest system. Each believer is a priest and saint of God with none above the other. Tithes and offerings were meant to support the Levi preists.

2. Jesus spoke of the greatest commandments being Love your God and love your neighbor as yourself. In that is the whole of the law.

3. If sacrifices and offerings and the observance of Hebrew holidays is no longer required, why would tithing be?

Etc. Etc.

#30     Jul 13, 2006