Questions about Emini S&P

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by FuturesTrader144, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Hey guys. A few questions about the Emini S&P popped into my head recently and I was just wondering if someone here could answer them.

1. Does depth of market display all trades being made? I see trades for 10-20 contracts occasionally but the daily volume is in the hundreds of thousands or sometimes millions. It makes me wonder if all trades are showing.

2. Theoretically, how many contracts could you buy/sell at once and get an immediate fill? If the bid is 2100 and the ask is 2100.25, could someone buy 100/200/500 contracts at 2100.25 with an instant fill? Looking at question 1 about depth of market, it feels like a no, but I am still curious.

Thank.s

2. volente_00

volente_00

You need to watch time and sales in order to see the footprints.
    Yes depending on the trading period
    During ah hitting the ask is doable to 100 lot.

During rth and not during a news events 500-1000 is there if you want to max out your global futures $300 day trade margin.

JackRab and CBC like this.
  3. MrScalper

MrScalper

With ES you are better to stick with the charts only.

If you try and do some very short trades using DOM and T&S, you will get caught out many times..more than likely losing a lot more than you will make.

Do not try and compete with those who throw around $mils with the blink of an eye!

Be smart, and step back!!!!

johnnyrock, SkyChef and Handle123 like this.
  4. algofy

algofy

You can trade about as much as you ever will in one clip on the ES. As a new trader I would look towards other instruments though. If you don't need the extremely high liquidity there are better options.

5. lol....

6. Handle123

Handle123

I agree, you learn charts first for a few years, what is often important is what you don't see. Meaning is you learn chart patterns, know the percentages of what works in uptrend. Say you see ascending triangle to the left and price broke up, and now price is coming down and forms ascending triangle, so you want to test what these triangles do in down trending market. Usually Ascending works best in uptrends, so knowing the percentages gives to slight edge of many who don't have a clue, so when all of this becomes second nature, then you can study T&S, but like 3-4 years later. Unless of course you are in upper intelligence. But so tough to catch it all.

Good luck.

7. MrScalper

MrScalper

Charts show historical prices.

Market internals show current intent (different markets have different internals).

Current intent impacts on current direction.

No need to have a PhD or high IQ to make money trading..in fact, the opposite is much better :)

8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Like what?

9. algofy

algofy

For my style something a bit thinner like CL or NQ.

10. Gynesis

Gynesis

do not use a market order, ever...
    with a limit a hft will take you off the board with a fill.

if you have to ask this question a. you don't have the money to trade the size you question b. you do have the money and need a copy of being poor for dummies.

#10     Apr 11, 2017