Questions about Amibroker

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gyles, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Gyles

Gyles

I am looking for a backtesting software suitable for my needs. Since, I learned of AmiBroker, so have downloaded the Demo version to try it out. Now, have a few questions which are as follows:

1. Since, India is now a growing economy, so the Indian Stock and commodities (MCX ncdx) data need to be included.
    2. Forecasting of price when the script is at life high as can not set the resistance level above the life high price.
    3. The free, default data providers are lacking for Forex and Australian Stocks. It is tough for beginners. Although, if you enjoy programming, it is good.
    4. Getting New High-New Low data into AB using AmiQuote? I, does anyone know how to get the data into AB using AmiQuote or another free source? The answer is No as far as Yahoo is concerned. Although, you can develop your own using the complete US-Stocks database (Hemscott). Hence, this is a problem of a data issue dealing with free data
    5. If use an external editor to make changes to indicators that are plotted on my AB. I have to reopen the AFL file and click on apply indicator icon in the AFL editor. Is there a better way?

Please clarify and sincere thanks

2. Gyles

Gyles

A few more questions regarding AmiBroker which are as follows:

1. Documentation not explained from the layman point of view like simple concepts of object oriented language not there (windows/objects etc.)
    2. Graphs are not clear, AMI BROKER charting they are not very good
    3. Is there is any way to paint the candle for specific condition. For bar style I know how to do that, But I need it for candle style
    4. http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/messages/116340?threaded=1&m=e&var=1&tidx=1 (Different Results from Different PCs despite using same values)
    5. How tough is it to Convert Easy Language Code to Amibroker?
    6. How do I learn The Language? It is considered tough for beginners.

Please do guide me and sincere thanks.

3. There is a $50 extension to generate canned code for basic systems. C Crosses 50 day MA, etc...

The code is pretty tough. Find a guide like Graham ( though hes very busy) or ask someone for their code and tweak to your own needs.

For India data you have to find an EOD supplier and load the data manually each day. It takes about 2 minutes for 2000 stocks ( I use Canadian data).

Yes the charting is mediocre. If you want pretty, go look at google charts or prophet.

If you want to backtest a portfolio level system, then use amibroker. I have seen both Easy language code and Amibroker code. I only understand Amibroker code. I always found Easy Language to be very confusing.

There are many level to Amibroker. For example, a sophisticated developer can control alot of functions in the backtester. I stick with coding the entry exits and stops and position size rules. That is all you'll need to develop a good strategy.

4. Gyles

Gyles

Sincere thanks psytrade for your informative reply. As, I am still in the process of checking the software, am having more questions as follows:

1. Since, free Data is not good for real trading, we require reliable and clean data the same. So, is it possible for it to Csi And Metastock files? Moreover, can it read them?
    2. What about its’ Trading Features?
    3. Since, the Negative values in Futures are important because the back adjusted contract have negative values. So, how do I set the point values, etc. for the futures, Min Move and Big Point values?
    4. Since, I feel that it is not a good program for futures? Any Comments?
    5. Can I backtest combining multiple systems?
    6. What about limiting exposer based on sectors; for example: Only 1 Stock from each Industry Banking, Metals, Auto, and Energy Etc.?
    7. What about the optimization across a basket of markets? Can I get the results of the basket as well as each market without re-running the optimization?
    8. Main Price Chart decimal point problem? Is there anyway to get the last two digits after a decimal point to show on the price chart?
    9. US-Stocks database problems. There are 8630 symbols in the database. Yahoo has no historical data for over 300 of them. Amiquote puts 'junk' (html 404 error) in the data file for missing historical data.

Please do guide me and sincere thanks.

5. Hello,

Guys this is not AB support forum. There is one on Yahoo - the one you have provided link for so post questions there, not here. Now just a few quick answers.

>Documentation not explained from the layman point of view like You should check the TUTORIAL section. This one is for beginners.

>Graphs are not clear, AMI BROKER charting they are not very good
    This surprises me to no end. AmiBroker charting is as clear as it can be. It is completely customizable and can look as you wish.
    I could help you if you actually describe what you want precisely.
    Contact support via e-mail.

>Is there is any way to paint the candle for specific condition.
    >For bar style I know how to do that, But I need it for candle
    Yes of course. You can paint with specified color. Support will give you the code.

>(Different Results from Different PCs despite using same values)
    That's simple - people are using different settings. To get same results you need to have same formula, same data and same settings (they can be saved to .abs file).

>How tough is it to Convert Easy Language Code to Amibroker?
    If you know both EL and AFL it is easy, but for beginners it is easier to use the wizard.

>How do I learn The Language? It is considered tough for beginners.
    There is an AFL code wizard that will write code automatically for you based on plain english sentence.

6. Again please use YahooGroup to ask AB questions.

[*] Since, free Data is not good for real trading, we require reliable and clean data the same. So, is it possible for it to Csi And Metastock files? Moreover, can it read them?

Yes it can read CSI and it can read MS. Detailed step by step instruction is in the User's guide.

[*] Since, the Negative values in Futures are important because the back adjusted contract have negative values. So, how do I set the point values, etc. for the futures, Min Move and Big Point values?

First we encourage using regular future contracts. Since AB has full portfolio-level multi-symbol backtester it can backtest regular futures with switching between them when they are expiring for more realistic backtest without resorting to continuous "artificial" data and backadjusting.
    MinMove is TickSize in AB speak, BitPoint value is PointValue in AB speak. Both are described in the manual (there is a section in tutorial about futures backtesting)

[*] Since, I feel that it is not a good program for futures? Any Comments?

It is great for futures.

[*] Can I backtest combining multiple systems?

Sure.

[*] What about limiting exposer based on sectors; for example: Only 1 Stock from each Industry Banking, Metals, Auto, and Energy Etc.?

Can be done with custom backtester.

[*] What about the optimization across a basket of markets? Can I get the results of the basket as well as each market without re-running the optimization?

You will get optimization result of PORTFOLIO that consists of any symbols that were actually traded. If you want per-sector for example that is up to you. If you want it without much effort you can add extra opt variable that will "turn on" one sector so you can see per-sector result

[*] Main Price Chart decimal point problem? Is there anyway to get the last two digits after a decimal point to show on the price chart?

Main price chart displays as many digits as it is needed to display the chart. If you display EURUSD it will display 4 digits automaticaly. You can also control number of decimal digits from Tools->Preferences->Misc

[*] US-Stocks database problems. There are 8630 symbols in the database. Yahoo has no historical data for over 300 of them. Amiquote puts 'junk' (html 404 error) in the data file for missing historical data.

You have used freebie that is outdated. Go to the same page where you did download it from and there is a link to more recent version.

8. Gyles

Gyles

Sincere thanks amibroker for your replies. Pardon my question, but are you in anyway related (developer or support or anything else) to Amibroker as your forum name suggests. :)

Moreover, I did post my questions at the yahoo support group and then only did I post here when I did not receive the answers for over a day. You may check out the same here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/message/116543.

This does not really show the support of AmiBroker in good light to reply so late and even the answers are not very satisfactory. It looks as if the support is missing.

9. As you probably know, the YahooGroup is a discussion forum for users. It is user group, not official support channel. You are asking other AB users there. And responses are from other users. I answer there from time to time when I am not busy developing but to get guaranteed and quick response you should simply e-mail directly to support at amibroker.com
    That way you will always get an answer and it will be quick and accurrate. We have dedicated support team sitting and answering quickly any e-mails you send to support address.
    The support team is not posting on Yahoo or ET.