Question: You Can Profit From The Answer, Too.

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ByLoSellHi, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Where did the idea of this trade come from, if you don't mind me asking?

#11     Jan 24, 2007
  2. Okay forget the carry trade in the short JPY and long EUR sense. Now if Japanese banks are offering loans at 1% then what's to stop everyone and his mother from taking out 1% loans to pay for mortgages, car loans, etc. Hell, developing countries could take out loans at 1% to fund infrastructure projects. Why isn't this happening? I'm guessing Japanese banks won't give you a loan unless your a Japanese citizen? And I'm guess its illegal for a Japanese citizen to take the funds at 1% and loan them out at higher interest.

Please move this thread to the Economics forum, I think its more suitable there.

#12     Jan 24, 2007
  3. Maybe because the exchange rate risk is, well, damn risky?

If you had opened a carry trade with gbp vs yen at yesterday's close, you would need to hold the position for nearly (edit) 7 months for the interest carry to make up for the exchange rate loss for today's single session, assuming exchange rates remain the same (I just eyeballed the math, if I am way off hopefully someone can correct me - I think that's about right).

#13     Jan 24, 2007
  4. I've been reading about this 'carry trade' for some time in various publications, including the BBC article that I linked.

#14     Jan 24, 2007
  5. I don't trade Forex so I have limited experience with this stuff but lets say:

GBP offers 5.25% interest
    YEN offers .25% interest

Thats a 5% interest rate differential. So if a Japanese citizen were to borrow YEN from his local bank and invest it in a CD at a UK bank - then the YEN would have to appreciate 5% for him to lose money on this trade, is this right?

#15     Jan 24, 2007
  6. That is my interpretation, roughly.

#16     Jan 24, 2007
  7. I had thought maybe some 'financial advisor' tried to sell you the idea, the timing was eery.

#17     Jan 24, 2007
  8. What is going on here? Is this really happening to elite trader? This thread has to be a joke.

We should be discussing what type of options hedge would compliment a carry trade or the advantages of using CHF instead of JPY as a funding currency. Maybe it is time put on the old Goldman Sachs trade of short kiwi and long Brazilian Real?

#18     Jan 24, 2007
  9. It's not a joke.

I'm not at all familiar with the intricacies of currency swaps and the carry trade, obviously.

#19     Jan 24, 2007