Question to trader who really trade?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by WDGann, Dec 7, 2002.

1. WD-

I think that whatever "Homework" or after-market studying
    you do to mentally prepare yourself for the next day is
    important. Moreover, as you stated, not so much so for the
    retaining of the actual material studied, but moreso, for the
    benefit of the mental exercise itself.

I say this to you now after about 1.5 years of going through
    those same motions. However, in the last 6-months of my trading
    career I have not bothered to study or even look at any market
    information once the end of the trading session. Which for me
    ends @ 1:00pm PST. I have found that not forming opinions or bias into my head by overstudying the previous session or considering too much the lines of supp. or resist. that were drawn, has resulted in my trading being more consistent
    and more importantly more profitable.

At first you might think that I am in fact contraindicating my first
    advise to you. However, this is not so. More specifically to the point is that maybe in fact "Market" information needn't be the actual material you go over in order to feel that you've done your "Homework" and therefore have attained that mental state
    of preparedness so sought after.

Make sense?

Hopefully so, but maybe not. I could have stared at one too many tick bar charts!

Basically, look for a way to do an information dump of the previous session, in order to start fresh each morning and ready
    to make new decisions based on what market is doing for the here and now.

all the best in your trading-

momo

#21     Dec 9, 2002
  2. I totally agree and in fact study I read shows that undercapitalisation is the first reason of failure. And implicitly the novice trader is not conscious of that, but this will translate into fear and lack of discipline. So I think that for some traders the psychological reason has a more profund cause. I don't think all people don't stuck with a system only because they lack of discipline intrinseqly, but because they are afraid of the drawdown and they are afraid of that because they are undercapitalised although they are not directly concious of that.

#22     Dec 12, 2002