Question to Elite Traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Blaze, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Blaze

Blaze

Is it possible to apply a profitable strategy on shorter time frames?? The strategy has served me well on longer time frames and I'm wondering whether its logic can hold on shorter time frames. I can see the opportunity in that but I am somewhat skeptical because of the obviously higher fees due to turnover, and more noise.

Sometimes there are no opportunities on higher time frames that's why I am wondering whether I can run it successfully on shorter time frames.

2. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

Is it possible? YES
    Do YOU need to back/forward test the strategy for YOUR answer? YES

As an aside... if profitability of a (non-hft) strategy exists only due to costs, the strategy is not profitable.

3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Is there a reason why you don't backtest or simulate trade your trade strategy on shorter time frames to find the answer yourself considering its your trade strategy ?

wrbtrader

damnpenguins, SunTrader and KCalhoun like this.
  4. Echoing others — run a backtest.

5. Blaze

Blaze

Yes. The market has changed considerably in size since the last time. Backtesting may give misleading information. Markets move slower when larger.

6. MKTrader

MKTrader

And even if that's successful, you should probably paper trade or simulate it a bit in real-time...or trade a small amount of money at first.

longandshort likes this.
  7. Blaze

Blaze

That's what I'm pondering right now. To forward-test the strategy (paper trade) with 50-100 trades and get a general idea. I might have to forego any profits on those trades but I will consider it payment for education.

8. deaddog

deaddog

You might have to forgo losses. That's why you test.

Peter8519, KCalhoun and Blaze like this.
  9. gkishot

gkishot

What are your longer time frame and shorter time frame?

murray t turtle likes this.
  10. easymon1

easymon1

Sure, you can apply it.
    Will it remain profitable?
    Yes, it is possible.
    Have you done your due diligence in any form or fashion?
    Until you have done at least that much... then,
    8 ball.jpg

Diligence definition is - steady, earnest, and energetic effort : devoted and painstaking work and application to accomplish an undertaking
    Easy, Peasy. That's why everybody and I mean Everybody just makes money in the market. Because human nature is to skip the shortcuts and apply some blood sweat and time toward building their skill set. Why let someone else do all the work. Where's the fun in that?
    Please leave a little bit of money in the market for the rest of us to play with.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    #10     Jun 13, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.