Question related to Interactive Brokers error message

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by etradeqeko, Jul 30, 2018.

1. There is an error when I try to build a complex order using strategy builder that
    says something like "Combination orders with optstk or stkopt cannot have a ratio greater than 8"

What does this mean ?

2. The most obvious thing to do with such an error message is to send a inquiry to IB and ask them to translate that into normal English.

d08 likes this.
  3. JSOP

JSOP

Most likely it means IB does not allow stock + option combo orders to exceed certain ratios like 8 stocks to 1 options or vice versa. I don't know if that's what you were trying to do. I know IB restricts certain combo orders with a certain ratio and does not allow anything different or it might be some bug that the strategy builder still has. I do know that they screwed up the Strategy Builder big time after one of the build when they must've hired one of the cheapest and most incompetent Java coders to code it. It was fixed later on but it is still possible that some bugs still remained.

Just like @HobbyTrading said, better ask IB to clarify. And make sure you insist again and again and again cuz when you first send them the ticket, they will always come back to you and tell you there is no error that they cannot replicate it and try to close your ticket.

etradeqeko likes this.
  4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Please show us an example with the message. The limitation might be on the COB not with
    IB.

FSU likes this.
  5. Optstk options with stock 8:1 and stkopt. stock to options ratios greater than 8:1 is my guess

etradeqeko likes this.
  6. Do you mean the number of stocks purchased and the number of stocks related to the
    option contracts purchased ?