Question regarding PA

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by PAAddict, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Sprout

Sprout

Do you know the difference between tapes, traverses and channels? Your illustration shows a short traverse fanning into two larger short channels with incomplete long annotations.

Channels are built from traverses which are built from tapes which are built from 2 bar combinations.

Clarity will come as you do complete annotations and explore the price/volume relationship. Current Volume (or lack of anticipated volume) will support discerning the difference between your posted examples.

Generally, if increased volume doesn't support the BO, it will fail. This is due to the tape/traverse/channel one is observing is a non-Dominant move in a larger Dominant context. The failure though is observed on the larger Dominant context as a new fanned Channel pt3.

There are exceptions but it's better to understand the basics before the nuances.

#11     Oct 25, 2017
    Simples likes this.
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Seems like your earlier charts in this thread contained volume including a statement by you that you...I do not see something remarkable in the volume levels.

Now in your most recent charts, you've completely removed volume from your charts.

I'm a big fan that when showing charts online...best to show the entire chart for the full context instead of clipping out a small area in the chart. Sometimes you get lost in the small in comparison to the bigger picture.

P.S. This forum allows multiple image uploads in one message post just in case you did that to try to save space.

#12     Oct 25, 2017
  3. Metamega

Metamega

I personally saw volatility contraction( tight bars after a bigger move). It’s one of the many variations of pullbacks that I’ve had success which swing trading.

#13     Oct 25, 2017
    PAAddict likes this.
  4. tomorton

tomorton

In this example, correct interpretation of volume pointed towards a trade opportunity, and I'm not going to criticise that.

But just a point to bear in mind that the tool used in market manipulation is volume. So though it worked well here, it will sometimes be dramatically wrong.

What's hard to understand is why anyone would want to trade out of such a vague pattern.

#14     Oct 26, 2017
  5. PAAddict

PAAddict

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    #15     Oct 26, 2017
  6. PAAddict

PAAddict

Thanks, yes it was a matter of space, I did not want to clutter the screen with lots of charts. Next time I will use the multiple charts choice.

#16     Oct 26, 2017
  7. PAAddict

PAAddict

Thanks, not looking for trades here, just trying to understand behavior I am not familiar with.

#17     Oct 26, 2017
  8. PAAddict

PAAddict

Thanks. Will look into that.

#18     Oct 26, 2017
  9. PAAddict

PAAddict

Thanks, will look into that!

#19     Oct 26, 2017
  10. Sprout

Sprout

You're welcome. That is a very good thread. I haven't made it through the entire thing myself yet but everything Spydertrader presents there has made a positive difference in my trading (once throughly grasped and understood).

He's posted some amazing threads here as well.

If you post a annotated chart with tapes/traverses/channels, folks grounded in this methodology can get you up to speed quickly.

#20     Oct 26, 2017