Question on the market depth

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by Pierreg, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Pierreg

Pierreg

Hi all,

I have question concerning limit orders book. Is it possible to see, at any time, the whole range of bid and ask offers. I mean the whole depth of the market.

I am currently using quotemedia, which is very good, but it only shows 30 levels of each bid and ask side.

Do you think this is enough?

In fact, I would like to have the whole range of the depth, no matter delayed it is.

Thank you

2. For what reason do you want this?

It is my understanding that while some programs offer this great service of "DOM" traders can hide their order from it so you really don't get an accurate picture anyway. Hope you are not paying extra for "DOM".

3. Pierreg

Pierreg

Hope you are not paying extra for "DOM".

Yes I do. I use this:

www.quotestream.com

Dont know if it is reliable or not.

I am not a trader, but I am studing the information avaliable on the market. So if some traders hide their position, so be it, it will be the same for every one.

I mean, how many levels at maximum can there be on the market for a single quote, on the Bid side or Ask side?

Is there a law or somethin (say 60 levels on each side)?

4. No law for DOM hahaha. It should be outlawed though!

First off if you open an account with various brokers you will get what you are looking for for free.

Second, I do not use DOM now but when I did it would only show about 5 up and 5 down from the current price.

All in all though for trading it is pretty useless. It provides a false sense of edge to new traders. Nothing more nothing less. If there is an order for 100, or 1,000 somethings and it is hidden don't you think that would make a big impact on your decision-making process if you could see it? So, it is not worth anything.

What kind of research are you doing with only DOM information?

I must say I have my suspicions that you are an ad in disguise for a service that nobody should pay for cause aside from being a useless thing, many brokers offer it for free.

5. Pierreg

Pierreg

All in all though for trading it is pretty useless. It provides a false sense of edge to new traders. Nothing more nothing less. If there is an order for 100, or 1,000 somethings and it is hidden don't you think that would make a big impact on your decision-making process if you could see it? So, it is not worth anything.
    >>I dont care, I dont trade.

What kind of research are you doing with only DOM information?
    >>I am a student and I am studing traders anticipations.
    I just need to know what's the market depth.

I must say I have my suspicions that you are an ad in disguise for a service that nobody should pay for cause aside from being a useless thing, many brokers offer it for free.
    >>Lol, no I am not. They offer it for free, but you have to open an account, so it is not free.

6. Pierreg

Pierreg

7. Ok well it is good to know you are a real human with real intention.

As far as your question it sounds like you think there is a pre-determined "depth" of a market or a very specific perameter set to what it "must" be. In theory it would be from 0 to infinity but there is no set range.

Your chart shown is close enough to the others I have seen to tell you - there is your depth, your looking at it.

What more do you want out of it?

8. Genesis Laser has full depth (.01 to 99999.99)

9. Pierreg

Pierreg

What more do you want out of it?
    I want to know lots of things, because there is a lot to say about it.

As you can see on the attached file, there is the market depth of the stock AMZN (amazon.com).

There are only 30 lines. I hardly believe that there are in real life only 30 lines. A friend told me that the data provider I am using selects from several ECN, like Nasdaq, Arca, Bats differents orders, and put them in line.

For instant, (as you can see on the top of the file) there is 1 order at 130.85.

The second order is at 130.82. How could there be such a big gap?
    There is no order at 130.83 and 130.84? I hardly believe it.

The last order is near 30. If this is true, we should have a huge range (in fact: (130.83-30)/0.01) between those to orders.

What's your opinion on this?

10. Pierreg

Pierreg

Genesis Laser
    >>I have not found anything like this on the internet. Could you please provide me some info about it?

#10     Nov 12, 2009