Question on reading option tables

Discussion in 'Options' started by jtTrader, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jtTrader

jtTrader

How does one determine the multiplier for an option table?

For instance,

A October NQ mini 1990 put 31.50

What is the cost of this option?

10 x 31.50?
    20 x 31.50?
    ???

For any futures option, where does one look to find what this multiplier is?

Thanks ...

2. as they always say on this board..."IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THIS, YOU SHOULD NOT BE TRADING OPTIONS!!"

:p :D

3. There's no reason to be a cistard about it. Knowing the multiplier of a particular series of options has nothing to do with one's ability to trade them. Lower multipliers just mean you can trade more contracts.

For example, I know plenty about trading equity options, and I have years of experience, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about futures or index option multipliers. If I wanted to start trading those, I'd have to ask someone how much "one" is worth. Wouldn't make me a worse trader, though.

4. Contact the exchange where the options are listed or ask your clearing firm.

5. MTE

MTE

Go to the exchange's website where that contract trades and look up contract specs for all the details, including the multiplier.

For NQ that would be the CME.

6. jtTrader

jtTrader

Can anyone point to a location anywhere on the internet that provides the multiplier for futures options. I have been searching the net for this for 3 or 4 hours.

I think these are the values, but some for instance list the S&P as 50, others as 12.50.

This cannot be the mystery is seems to be. This would have to be obvious to an option trader.

E-mini Dow 10 x options price
    E-mini Russell 10 x options price
    E-mini Nasdaq 20 x options price
    E-mini S&P 12.50 x options price

E-mini Gold YG 10 x options price
    E-mini Euro E7 125,000 x option price
    E-mini Oil QM 1000 x option price
    E-mini Bonds 15.625 times price

Thanks in advance for the help,

Davod

7. Check cme.com for futures multipliers.
    I saw a really cool list the other day at that site but forgot the address. Sorry
    it's there though!

Most options are 100.

8. MTE

MTE

12.5 is per tick, however 1 ES point is 50 as 1 point is 4 ticks.

Just go to the respective exchange and look up contract specs for the respective futures contract - look under value for 1 point.

9. MTE

MTE

100 is only valid for equity and cash index options.

10. omcate

omcate

Visit the home page of Interactive Brokers:

http://individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/main.php

Then, select Trading ---> Product Listings ---> Future Options

You'll see a list of exchanges. Choose the appropriate exchange, and then the product. For example:

CME (Electronic-Globex) ---> E-MINI S&P 500

You should be able to find most of the answers there.

#10     Sep 19, 2007